Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A vintage treasure!

As I mentioned in my last post, we had a progressive dinner with our church family on Labor Day.  We hosted the soup course here.  One of our friends noticed that I collect cookbooks and that I especially enjoy vintage ones.  Sunday morning he came into church with this:

This book is actually a later, larger format version of the book I learned to cook with.  I owned several children's cookbooks growing up, but this is the best of them all.  Although I still have my old 1957 copy, it is in tatters.  This version, from 1963, has the exact same recipes and many of the same illustrations.  Here's the back cover:



My granddaughters are enchanted by this book.  Stay tuned for some of their cooking adventures!

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet gift! I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of the pages as well as the finished cooking project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...I still have my copy of that book and have shared it with my now teenage girls. Mine too is in tatters but love it. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Arlene and Nancy, for stopping by. Yes, Nancy, the book is priceless. I am so blessed to own this copy. Arlene, I hope to share more of the book as time goes on, as well as recipes and pictures when the girls cook from it.

    Stop in again, ladies! It's always a blessing to have you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mrs.T,
    We have the older version of this cookbook.It was my father in laws when he was a little boy.We rescued it from their yard sale when they moved.:)I may try to cook something up with my little girls.Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nikki,

    How neat that you have the older copy! That's the one I had as a girl also. There are some good recipes in there. I love how these books not only teach kids to cook, but there are some values and work ethic inherent in them also. Paying attention, doing things right, cleaning up after oneself, etc. Sadly lacking in our society today.

    Hope you have fun if you do bake something with your girls!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.