Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Two refreshing rice salad recipes

(Photo by Taste of Home)
Recently I've made a couple of different rice salads for potlucks at church.  I like to make rice salads because they seem easier than pasta salads, and of course they can be gluten free less expensively than making salads with gluten-free pasta.  Both of these salads are intended to be main-dish salads, but I made one of them meatless for more of a side dish.  Both were delicious and went over very well.

Here's the link to the first one: North Shore Chicken Salad.  I found this recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks, Among Friends with Heart & Soul, which has recipes by Roxie Kelley and Friends, and beautiful illustrations by the incomparable Shelly Reeves-Smith.  If you can locate a copy of this cookbook, I'm sure you would enjoy both the recipes and the artwork. 

The cookbook says that this North Shore Chicken Salad is a recipe from Judy Goplerud, owner of Home Sweet Home and The Cottage Sampler in St. Ansgar, Iowa.  I was able to locate the recipe online at Better Recipes.com, so could link to it for you.  The only difference is that the original recipe uses 2 cloves of garlic rather than one, 1 Tblsp. of Dijon mustard rather than 1 tsp., and rice wine vinegar rather than white wine vinegar.  When I made the salad, I used seasoned rice vinegar. 

The second recipe, which I made for Sunday's potluck, is this one:  Texas Confetti Rice Salad.  It calls for 4 cups of chopped turkey, which I left out as I intended the salad to be a side dish.  I also left out the chopped red onion and added some dried minced onion instead.  In the dressing, I reduced the olive oil to 1/2 cup (which was more than enough), the cumin to 2 tsp. and the red pepper flakes to 1/4 tsp.  It also was a very delicious salad.  I think next time I might use 2 avocados rather than the one.

With all the hot weather we've been having, perhaps your family might enjoy one of these refreshing salads, too!  I will definitely be making both of them again before the summer is over.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these with us. We eat a lot of rice. Though I never have used a recipe. I think we will be trying these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome, Nikki! I hope you enjoy the recipes if you try them. I have another rice salad recipe which I will try and post soon. It has a mayonnaise based dressing (which these two do not) and contains pineapple chunks and tuna. It's one of our summertime favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.