Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Hodgepodging on the fly


These photos show a place we hope to fly to in the next few months:
Northeastern Nevada
 Wednesday again!  Joyce is back so we will join her and other bloggers for the Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.  Joyce asks the questions -- so do head over there and snag them to answer on your own blog and then link up your post for today's Hodgepodge.  It's great fun!

1. Tell us about a time you felt like you were 'flying by the seat of your pants'.

 Good question.  I try not to do this.  I prefer to be prepared.  I tend to remember parenting as an endeavor in which I did a lot of flying by the seat of my pants. And, it occurs to me now, I am doing eldercare in much the same way.

2.  When or where would you most like to be 'a fly on the wall'?

Since this past weekend, pondering the Resurrection of Christ, the events surrounding it as recorded in Scripture  are still fresh in my mind.  I'm thinking I would have loved to be a "fly on the wall" on the road to Emmaus when Jesus appeared and walked with two of His followers, and then ate supper with them and was "known of them in breaking of bread". ( Luke 24:35) 
I snapped this photo from the car window years ago as we were leaving a family reunion.  The butterfly was right there on the lilac bush.
3. 'Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.'-Henry David Thoreau 

Would you agree? Why or why not?

I do agree in some ways.   I have often thought that many people waste their lives living for the next big moment that they think is going to make them happy.  Meanwhile, life is going on and they are failing to enjoy it.  But if they pay attention, they can find joy and happiness in the everyday happenings that really do make up our lives.

4. Share a favorite movie, book, or song with flying in its title, lyrics, or theme somewhere.

"I'll Fly Away".  The songwriter is Rev. Gary Davis.  Some of the words go like this:

"Some glad morning when this life is o'er
I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away.
I'll fly away, O glory!
I'll fly away;
When I die, hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away!"

5. What is one task or chore you tend to do 'on the fly'? Is this something that really needs to be done another way?

I was trying to think of a good answer for this.  Then I added in the butterfly photo above.  One could say I took that photo "on the fly" from the car window.  And it occurs to me that I often take photos this way, just in passing, not really thinking about the composition, lighting, or anything else.  I really do need to learn to use that camera.

6. What was happening the last time you thought to yourself or said aloud, 'Wow, time flies when you're having fun', and you meant it.

Hmmm .... good question!  It has often seemed to me as if time flies whether one is having fun or not.

7. This Thursday is National Garlic Day. Will you add garlic to your menu on Thursday? Do you like garlic? What's your favorite dish made with garlic?
Photo from Taste of Home
I do like garlic. It's likely to be in my menu on Thursday, because I use garlic in cooking a lot.  One of my favorite recipes showcasing garlic is this one:

GARLIC LIME CHICKEN

1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
6 garlic cloves, minced (or equivalent amount of jarred minced garlic)
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tblsp. dried coriander
2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
4 to 6 bone-in chicken breast halves
1 to 2 Tblsp. vegetable oil

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first 8 ingredients. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat chicken with marinade. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Discard marinade. In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil and brown the chicken on all sides. Transfer to a greased 15 x 10-inch baking pan. Bake chicken, uncovered, at 375º for 30 to 35 minutes or until the juices run clear.  (If preferred, this can also be grilled, for approximately the same amount of time.)

Yield : 4 to 8 servings

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

This morning I was telling a friend about the sweet wildflower "Bird on the Wing" which in my mind looks a lot like a little airplane, complete with propeller.
 And thus ends another Hodgepodge.  Happy Wednesday, everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Your reference to parenting in #1 made me chuckle - so very true, especially with your first child. Thanks for the recipe - it looks delicious. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you enjoy the recipe if you try it, Pamela. It's been a favorite here.

      You have a great week also, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. love your answers! I, too, chose I'll Fly Away! Great answer about the fly on the wall - wouldn't that have been awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat how we both chose the same song. It was the first thing that came to my mind upon reading that question.

      Delete
  3. That chicken looks so yummy. I'll be dreaming about that all day. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you try the chicken, Katie. It is SO flavorful.

      Delete
  4. I love that you were being serious and doing your best to answer the questions in an adult fashion. =D Not I! My brain is scrambled and I must get out to do my yardwork before it rains or something.

    Thanks, too, for the recipe. That sounds flavorful.

    Have a sweet day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain predicted for here too, later on ... maybe not until evening. Partly sunny right now.

      I did try my best to answer the questions in an adult fashion, but humor has its place too, always. I enjoyed your answers very much!

      Hope you enjoy the recipe if you try it. Would be nice to serve to family on Memorial Day, for example.

      You have a sweet day as well, Vee!

      Delete
    2. Have you heard snow rumors? I kid you not! We are expecting some tomorrow...and it's sleeting here now. Ugh.

      Delete
    3. No! I have not heard snow rumors. It figures ... I have to drive to the nursing home tomorrow. Guess I had better check the forecast...😕

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing the chicken recipe. It sounds good, and I will definitely be trying. Love that song too...I'll be singing it for the rest of the day : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I hope you enjoy the chicken! And I also will have that song in my head the rest of the day -- so much better than some of the songs that get stuck in my head.

      Delete
  6. That chicken looks pretty good! And liked your thought of being on the road to Emmaus. It's so interesting that even his followers were totally shocked at his resurrection, although he had told them. Nothing like that had EVER happened before and nothing like that has EVER happened since. Praise God for a risen Savior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Judy! Yes, He had told them He would rise again. But somehow they just didn't get it.

      Hope you enjoy the chicken if you try it. I think the recipe came from Quick Cooking, many years ago. I've prepared it many times since.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE that song and I am hoping it will stay stuck in my head now instead of fly me to the moon, lol. The chicken recipe sounds really good, so thank you. I am ALWAYS looking for a new chicken recipe to try. Seems like we eat it soo frequently. Enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. You too!

      Hope the song will stay stuck in your head as it has in mine today.

      Enjoy the chicken recipe! It is very flavorful and moist. Other than meatless meals, we eat more chicken than anything else!

      Delete
  8. That would have been an interesting place to be a fly on the wall! That sounds like a lovely song. The chicken sounds delicious. That is a pretty little flower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Debby. That little wildflower is an unusual one all right. I have never seen it anywhere else. To me the blooms look just like tiny airplanes, so it fit perfectly with this Hodgepodge!😊

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.