Tuesday, July 17, 2018

A favorite summer supper -- Chef's Salad

Photo is from Pixabay.  You don't really think I'd remember to take a photo, do you?
 Last night we had one of our favorite summer meals -- a nice chef's salad.  During the dog days of summer, it's one of the best suppers I can think of, and my hubby is always happy to see it on the menu.  I did a search here and discovered I've apparently never posted this recipe ... which is really more of a formula, I guess.  So here goes:

CHEF'S SALAD

*Leafy greens enough to feed however many folks are at your table -- I like the baby leaf lettuces from Little Leaf Farms
*Chopped green, red, or yellow peppers to taste, if you like
*Tomatoes, cut in wedges, or grape or cherry tomatoes, halved, to taste
*Thin sliced swiss or provolone cheese, cut in strips, to taste
*Thin sliced deli ham, cut in strips, to taste
*Thin sliced deli chicken or turkey, cut in strips, to taste

And you could certainly add other things like olives, chopped green onion, avocado cubes, sliced hard-cooked eggs, or whatever you might like in a salad like this.

Layer the ingredients in a large salad bowl.  I like to make two layers so that the ingredients are well distributed when the salad is tossed.

I always use a thousand island type dressing with this salad, as it's what was suggested with the recipe I found years ago.  Here is what I combined to make last night's dressing:

DRESSING FOR CHEF'S SALAD

*3/4 cup mayonnaise
*1/2 cup barbecue sauce
*1 Tablespoon sweet pickle relish
*2 Tablespoons milk, to thin the dressing to your taste

Serve in a bowl alongside the salad, so diners may add dressing to their personal taste.

8 comments:

  1. One of my favorite salads, but especially nice in the summer with a quality hard roll.
    Thousand Island is a favorite of mine. I’ll give your recipe a try. New to your blog and enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting, Maureen! Please visit anytime ... the archives are full of things that might interest you.

      Hope you enjoy the dressing if you try it. The original called for ketchup instead of barbecue sauce, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. I didn't think the pepper was necessary since the BBQ sauce was spicy enough on its own.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yum!!! I make the same kind of salads putting in whatever I have in the fridge - but that dressing!!! Louis Dean is going to love that dressing!! I am making it tonight for our welcome home dinner for Summer and Rayne! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Linda! I'm honored that you would use my recipe for a welcome home dinner for your dear ones.

      Delete
  3. Sounds yummy and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back!! I made this dressing tonight and Louis Dean loved it so much that all he ate for dinner was the salad! Helping after helping! I had chicken and dressing, mashed potatoes, green peas, garlic bread and cranberry sauce. He only ate salad and ALL of the dressing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Linda, that is such a funny story! With all of the other delicious food, that he would eat only the salad -- so funny. I'm glad he enjoyed the dressing so very much.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.