Monday, July 30, 2018

Another sensational main-dish salad for those hot days


(Photo above is from Taste of Home.  My salad was not as pretty as theirs but it sure tasted good.)

Things continue hot, humid and showery in the Granite State.  Cool main-dish salads are the order of the day at our house.  We have old favorites but are always happy to try out a new salad recipe.

I tried this recipe Friday night: Cobb Salad with Chili Lime Dressing.  I found it while browsing through a 2009 summer issue of Simple and Delicious magazine and decided to try it, since I had everything on hand that I needed (other than salad greens, and I was grocery shopping that day).

I did change up a few things.  I left out the raw onion as we just don't enjoy them in salads.  I left out the shredded cheese also, since chicken and beans provided plenty of protein.

Some reviewers on the Taste of Home site said that they swapped out black beans for the kidney beans.  I just used the light red kidney beans and they were delicious in the salad.  I would think just about any type of bean would be good in this.

The chili lime dressing is fantastic.  I changed a few things there too.  Didn't have quite enough sour cream, so added a few tablespoons of mayo to make up the difference.  I didn't want to mess about with a blender, so I left out the canned green chiles and substituted an equivalent amount of salsa verde.  And I used the squeezable cilantro paste from Gourmet Garden -- always my go-to when recipes call for fresh cilantro.  I find that the fresh stuff goes bad far too quickly.

We loved this salad.  My hubby declared it "one of those meals that I could eat and eat."  This will definitely be going into our rotation of main-dish summer salads!

8 comments:

  1. Nothing like a refreshing salad. If you ever visit Thinking About Home, Cheryl has some yummy salads posted on her sidebar. She did a summer salad series once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went over there and looked, Vee. Yes indeed, some yummy salads there! I can see I need to print out a few recipes. Thanks for mentioning this!

      Delete
  2. It sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Terri! Hope you enjoy the salad if you try it.

      Delete
  3. Oh man, it has avocados. It has to be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, any salad with avocados is good, in my book.

      Delete
  4. It all sounds so delicious! It is so wonderful to find a new recipe where you have most of the ingredients already on hand! And to find a winner and a keeper at the same time! So awesome! It's been a hot summer here so these kinds of recipes are always good to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's been so hot and humid here. Sometimes a cool main-dish salad is just the only way to go. We really enjoy them!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.