Sunday, May 09, 2021

Sunday Scripture

 

 Here goes with another passage from my study of 2 Corinthians with Good Morning Girls.  As mentioned previously, I use the SOAP method of Bible study , and their study guide uses a similar method.  Today's passage is from 2 Corinthians chapter 4.  As I sometimes do, I selected a different passage from the chapter than the one suggested in the study.  I chose to study verses 6 and 7.

S=  "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us."  (2 Corinthians 4:6-7)

O= The same God who commanded the light to shine out of darkness is the One who has shined into our hearts.  He has given us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.  Even though Satan seeks to blind the eyes of unbelievers, God wants us to shine the light of the Gospel into their lives.  He chooses to use us, as "earthen vessels" so that the excellency of the power will be of Him and not of us.

A=  I love the imagery here.  It is incredible yet true that the very same God who commanded the light to shine out of darkness (Genesis 1:3) has shone light into our hearts.  He wants us to point others to that light as well.  I love that He places the treasure of the Gospel in earthen vessels like us, so that the excellency of the power is in Him and not frail, fallible human beings like us.  I'm reminded of Gideon's men breaking the earthen pitchers so that the light inside shone through.

P=  "Lord, I do thank and praise You for shining the light of the Gospel into my heart.  I thank You that not only do You recognize my fragility as a vessel of clay, but You designed it to be this way so that the power seen will be Your power and not my own.  I pray that You will give me opportunities to shine Your light, in Jesus' name, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.