Sunday, June 25, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


Just a reminder that I'm finishing up a One Chapter a Day study of Psalms 101-150 from Good Morning Girls.  Although I love working on more in-depth Bible studies, these simpler ones are also a blessing to do, and I think they are working out quite well for my Sunday Scripture posts.

 As I've noted before, I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find this method a real blessing especially when I am studying shorter passages, and I hope others will give it a try if you haven't ever done so. Just a reminder that the S is for Scripture -- just write it out -- and the O is for Observation, the A is for Application and the P is for prayer -- concerning how you'll apply this verse or praise for what it means to you.

This study also includes a reflection question for each passage.  Sometime I answer this in my study, and sometimes not.  Whenever I do answer it (and this week I did), I'll do so right after the SOAP part.

Today's study is from Psalm 146.  The verses to focus on were verses 1-2.

S=  "Praise ye the LORD.  Praise the LORD, O my soul.
"While I live will I praise the LORD.  I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being."  (Psalm 146:1-2)

O= Spurgeon writes of this psalm: "The rest of our journey [that is, our journey through the book of Psalms] lies through the Delectable Mountains.  All is praise to the close of the book.  The key is high-pitched; the music is upon the high-sounding cymbals.  O for a heart full of joyful gratitude, that we may run, and leap, and glorify God, even as these psalms do."

Scofield has titled this psalm "God praised for His help."  There is just so much in the ten verses of this psalm!  Quite a bit more, actually, than simply praising God for His help.  Take a look:

* Verses 3 and 4 explain the futility of putting our trust in people.
* Verse 5 exhorts us to place our trust in God for our hope and help.
* Verses 6-10 praise the Lord:
• for His creation (v. 6)
• for His eternal truthfulness (v. 6)
• for His justice (v. 7)
• for His provision (v. 7)
• that He frees prisoners (v. 7)
• that He opens blind eyes and heals infirmities (v. 8)
• that He loves the righteous (v. 8)
• that He cares for widows, orphans, and sojourners (v. 9)
• that He deals with the wicked (v. 9)
• that He will reign forever (v. 10)

So the psalmist directs his soul to praise the Lord in verse 1.  As Spurgeon says, "When we praise God, let us arouse our innermost self, our central life; we have but one soul, and if it be saved from eternal wrath, it is bound to praise its Savior."

A cross-reference to "Praise ye the LORD" in verse 1 is:

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name."  (Psalm 103:1)

The psalmist then adds in verse 2 that he will praise the LORD while he lives, while he has any being.  He purposes to praise God from the depths of his soul, for as long as he lives.

John Morison writes concerning this phrase "While I have any being": "We may fairly conclude that the psalmist stretches his thoughts beyond the limits of time, and contemplates that scene of eternal praise which shall succeed the less perfect songs of the church below."

Spurgeon comments, "I cannot tell how long or short my life may be: but every hour of it shall be given to the praises of my God.  While I live I'll love, and while I breathe I'll bless.  It is but for awhile, and I will not wile that time away in idleness, but consecrate it to that same service which shall occupy eternity."

A= I must take this exhortation to heart and praise God from the depths of my soul.  I love that this psalm goes on to explain the futility of putting our trust in mere humans, and that God alone must be our help and hope.  From there, as the psalmist goes on to list nearly a dozen reasons why the Lord is to be praised, I'm reminded to be specific and purposeful in my praise.  

As mentioned in the reflection question, as we record new mercies from God daily and learn new things about Him, our praise can be continually fresh and new for a lifetime!

P= "Lord, how I praise You for all that You are!  People will fail us every time; only you are perfectly trustworthy.  As I read this psalm I am inspired by the many, many reasons to praise You and the implications that these have for my life.  As I see Your new mercies every day and learn more and more about You, help my praise to be continually fresh and new.  May my praise never become stale or uninspired, but may it truly glorify You "while I have any being"!  In Jesus' name, Amen."

The reflection question asks: "Have you fallen into a boring routine of singing the same songs over and over?  What new things have you experienced or learned about God, that you can celebrate?  How does this revive your worship?"

My response: I don't think that I have fallen into a boring routine, but I have caught myself using one phrase over and over as I pray -- asking God to "work in a wonderful way".  Now, this is not unbiblical -- there is certainly precedent for it in Psalm 107, and all of God's works are wonderful -- but in my prayer life I believe that He would have me be more specific.

The praise-filled verses of Psalms 145 and 146 have inspired me greatly in my praise and worship of this amazing God!

And there is the Sunday Scripture for this week.  I hope it was a blessing to someone today.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with us today.
    Have a blessed new week,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Carla! You have a wonderful week, too!

      Delete
  2. "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!" Psalm 150:6 When I think about Who God is and all that He has done for me and everyone I know, how can I help but praise Him? Everywhere I look I see evidence of His glory in His Creation. Not just in nature, but also in human nature...the people He loves and gave His life for...even me! Yes, I will praise Him with every breath until I enter heaven's gates, and then I can only imagine what our praise shall be like!! Something beyond of earthly imaginations, that is for sure! This was a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing it with us. It was a blessing to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad this was a blessing to you, Pam! Thanks for sharing your heart today!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.