Monday, August 07, 2023

Happy Homemaker Monday

 


 Once again this Monday, I'm taking time to join Sandra for this link party over at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom

The Weather:::

Rainy.  It's currently 64º and raining lightly.  90% humidity.  Rain predicted for the next day or two.

As I look outside my window:::

Everything is still quite lush and green from all the rainy weather.   Here is a photo of the phlox flower I mentioned last week, several of which are now blooming along the roadside at our camp. These flowers are very special to me, as my mother had transplanted them from her grandparents' farm in Vermont.  My childhood home has been torn down now and last fall, my hubby rescued these flowers from certain oblivion.  We are very encouraged by how these plants have taken hold at the camp.  We counted a dozen or so with buds; more than we planted.  So thankful.  I know it's a little thing, but God is a God of detail.

Right now I am:::

 Working on a blog post.
 
Thinking and pondering:::
 
Continuing to ponder  the concept of "outliving one's life" in light of two memorial services we attended last week.  Both people have definitely outlived their lives and there were takeaways for me in the stories shared about them.  One person not only brought his own family to the Lord through his testimony, but also his best friend's family, who were all  in attendance at his graveside service.  Two of his grandchildren are led to serve God in other countries.  What a legacy!

The second person had lived a fascinating and very full life and was such an inspiration to live every moment of life to the fullest.  Her unwavering trust in God and her uncomplaining spirit in health difficulties were also an inspiring part of her testimony.

On my bedside table::: 

 A lamp, three books,  a pen and a jar of lavender-infused oil for helping with insect bites.

On my tv this week::: 

Nothing this week.

 Listening to::: 

The faint hum of the air fryer as my hubby cooks some bacon.

On the Breakfast plate:::

I do intermittent fasting so don't have breakfast.  Lunch will be a salad with cubes of turkey and cheese in  addition to leaf lettuce and probably some banana peppers.

On the dinner plate::: 

A low-carb taco pie and probably some sauteed zucchini
 
On the menu for this week::: 

I usually plan my menus from Thursday to Thursday, and grocery shop on Friday morning.  A few meals on my menu plan:

Egg bake
Fish Chowder
Taco Pie
Egg Roll in a Bowl
 
On my reading pile:::
 
Holy Hygge by Jamie Erickson
We Travel an Appointed Way by A.W. Tozer
The Teaming Church by Robert Crosby
Own Your Life, by Sally Clarkson 
 



We spent time with friends at a sweet little lake spot on Wednesday.  

On my to do list today:::
 
Work on blog posts
Etsy listings
Bake cookies for VBS
Work on Sunday School lesson
Empty wastebaskets
Laundry

Plans for this week:::

Plan menus and make grocery list
List some notions, patterns, cards, and kids' books on Etsy
Ironing
Take a bag to the thrift store
Work on my Sunday School lesson
Ironing
Help at VBS as needed
 
What I am creating:::
 
January cross-stitch sampler
Crocheting a second red, white and blue hot mat
Some "condensation catchers" out of old towels to place behind toilets that sweat in the humidity -- no, I still haven't finished those! 😕
Need to start a pillow quilt for a granddaughter's gift
 
The felt fruit has now been gifted, so I can share a photo.
 
And below are a few pillow quilts, folded.  If you want to learn a bit more about these, check this post on my Christmas blog: Planning for handmade gifts.


 
Bible verse, Devotional, Quote:::
 
Yesterday in my Sunday School class as we addressed Christ's command not to be anxious about tomorrow,  we discussed the difference between worry and concern. This is such a helpful quote from Lawrence Richards:
 
“Both anxiety and worry spring from natural and legitimate concerns that are part of life in this world.  But legitimate concerns are handled wrongly when they do one or more of the following: 1) become dominating concerns in our life and lead to fear; 2) destroy our perspective on life and cause us to forget that God exists and cares; or 3) move us to drift into an attitude of constant worry and concern over a future that we cannot control.”

I think this is an excellent summary of what it looks like to handle very real concerns in a wrong way.
 
On my prayer list:::
 
Friends & family
Church family
Missionaries
Our country
 
And there's the Happy Homemaker Monday for this week!


6 comments:

  1. A great set of pictures. Your weather would be a break for me . Iam jealous of green grass . Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those lake photos look like such fun! Brought back great memories from time spend with my best friend when we were in college (she lived in upstate New York) and summers spent at her house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all sounds wonderful to me. I love the phlox flowers...so glad you rescued them and they are thriving at your camp. Oh, I love that felt food! They look so real! Someone must be very happy to have them. I love the pictures of the kids playing in the water...looks so refreshing! I haven't been swimming in such a long time...and our lakes down here are not very good for swimming anymore...too many alligators, etc. We have a lot of springs around the area, which would be nice, but very cold! I'm just not into swimming anymore anyway. I love those pillow quilts. I can imagine some children will be enjoying those! So many fun ideas and pleasant thoughts. Thank you for sharing with us. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful time at the lake, beautiful water. Thought the felted fruit was real there for a second. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your beautiful blog. Those flowers are truly stunning. The color is also lovely: lilac or purple. Gorgeous. The lovely photos of the natural area by the water are delightful. Isn't it nice to have such moments? We need those to maintain balance. At least I do. Oh, and I'm about to check out your other blog. In the Netherlands, we don't really exchange gifts during Christmas, but that's alright. Just popping by because I enjoy it. I find the owl-patterned pillowcase so charming. I hope you have a wonderful week.🌸🦉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful week. I am in New England as well. We live on the coast in MA. Not so northern but not quite southern New England either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.