Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Bacon Cheeseburger Subs



Photo from Taste of Home
These are for Rachel, who asked for the recipe. I found the recipe in the newest Taste of Home, but made quite a few changes, so I've written the recipe as I made it. They are delicious, but will be only an occasional treat for Mr. T and me!

Cheeseburger Meat Loaf Subs

(Adapted from Taste of Home)

* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
* 1 cup quick-cooking oats
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
* 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
* 2 tablespoons ketchup
* 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
* 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* bacon bits to taste
* 8 sub rolls, split and toasted (I used multigrain ciabatta rolls, but they were a bit crunchy.)

In a large bowl, combine the egg, tomato sauce, oats, onion, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press evenly into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through; drain if necessary.

Combine mayonnaise and ketchup; spread over meat loaf. Cut into eight rectangles; top each with tomatoes, 1 tablespoon cheese and bacon bits to taste. Place on a baking sheet; broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Or, if you don’t have a broiler, bake these at 425ยบ or so until the cheese melts. Serve on buns. Yield: 8 sandwiches.

2 comments:

  1. These look fabulous!! Thank you so much for posting it. I will try to make it next week. I'll let you know when I make it:). Thanks for posting the reduced fat version. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I never replied to this comment, Rachel! I made a turkey meat loaf last night and am going to make sandwiches sort of like this for supper tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.