Thursday, August 02, 2007

Slow Cooking Thursday for August 2




Here is a great recipe that makes a delicious sandwich. It would be good with French fries or chips alongside, or a pasta salad or potato salad, and baby carrots. I found this recipe in Cook & Tell (see link in sidebar), my favorite cooking newsletter.

EASY ITALIAN BEEF

A pot roast that will fit in your crockpot
1 envelope dry Italian salad dressing mix*
1 16-ounce jar mild pepper rings (find them in the pickle aisle)
Water if needed

Put the pot roast in the crockpot. Sprinkle with dressing mix. Pour the pepper rings (including all their liquid) over the top. If needed, add water to come halfway up the sides of the roast.

Cover and cook on High for 4 hours; then turn to Low for 2 to 3 hours more. Shred the meat with 2 forks and serve, using a slotted spoon, on crusty rolls.

* I use my own dry Italian dressing mix. I’ve shared this recipe before, but for your convenience am including it here again.

ZESTY ITALIAN DRESSING MIX

1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. each: pepper, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, sweet red pepper flakes
Pinch of paprika

In a custard cup or small bowl, mix all together. Whirl briefly in a blender if you like a finer texture (I skip this step). Makes the equivalent of 1 packet Italian dressing mix. May double or triple the recipe if you need more than one packet of mix in whatever you’re making.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:15 AM

    I have heard reviews about this. I am gonna have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 AM

    what a great recipe!! I will be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This definitely sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:30 PM

    Great recipe.I have enjoyed your blog. I went back and read all of the recipes.I all of Taste of Home products. Did you know they have a wonderful new cookbook out?
    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ladies --

    Thanks so much for stopping by my kitchen table today! Hope you do try the recipe and that you enjoy it.

    Elizabeth, glad you are enjoying my blog and the recipes. Yes, a friend of mine -- actually a missionary wife who was here with us for lunch a couple of weeks ago -- mentioned that new Taste of Home cookbook to me.

    Have a wonderful week, everyone! It is unbelievably hot and humid here in New England...sure hope it is nicer where all of you are.

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.