Friday, August 17, 2007

Favorite Ingredients Friday for August 17


For Favorite Ingredients Friday today, I’d like to share one of my favorite frozen desserts. You can make these ahead, freeze solid, remove from the springform pan and wrap in foil to freeze until you need them. This ice cream cake recipe was devised by my friend Christine, and it is a super one. You can use any flavor of ice cream that’s compatible with chocolate. I have used raspberry sherbet, a combination of orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream, peanut butter cup, and of course plain vanilla, in different ice cream cakes over the years. Have fun with this recipe!

CHRISTINE’S ICE CREAM CAKE
3 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
Hot fudge sauce (recipe follows) at room temperature
1/2 gallon ice cream, softened
8 ounces whipped topping

Press half of the cookie crumbs in the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Drizzle with a third of the fudge sauce. Top with half of the ice cream. Layer on the remaining cookie crumbs, then another third of the fudge sauce. Top with the remaining ice cream, and drizzle on the remaining fudge sauce. Freeze solid.

Top with whipped topping (and I like to add some chocolate sprinkles at this point). Freeze until ready to serve.
Yield: 12 to 15 servings.

BEST HOT FUDGE SAUCE
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup baking cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cream, evaporated milk, or milk
Dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Place butter and unsweetened chocolate in a microwave-safe dish -- I use a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Cook for 2 minutes at High. Stir in baking cocoa, sugar, cream, and salt; heat 2 minutes more at High. Stir in vanilla. If necessary, heat another 30 to 60 seconds until no longer sugary.

This is the best hot fudge sauce I’ve ever tasted. It makes exactly the right amount for the ice cream cake recipe, but is great in sundaes or for other uses as well. I found this recipe in my favorite cooking newsletter, Cook & Tell.

3 comments:

  1. wow do those recipes sound great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is wow!! This looks user friendly and probably looks amazingly pretty when cut into slices. I'll have to save this one for the chocolate people in my family. My poor hubby can't eat chocolate anymore as it aggravates his Crohn's. Thank you for sharing - and thank your friend for coming up with this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies,

    Thanks for stopping by my kitchen table! Hope you get to try these and that you will enjoy them. I love the hot fudge sauce recipe, it is so easy. Sometimes when we have guests and just want to serve brownie sundaes or something similar, I will make the sauce right after we finish the main course.

    I've made this ice cream cake for many occasions, and it's always a hit. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.