Friday, February 29, 2008

Sew Crafty Friday for February 29


Most of my projects this week are works in progress. First, here is the Country Baking cross-stitch sampler. I'm still working on the back-stitching. I don't work on this too often, but yesterday I got quite a bit done while my hubby was in the dentist's chair and I waited for him. The "book-like" area down near the bottom left is going to contain a list of the fruit of the Spirit.

Next is the scrap afghan (a UFO from many years ago). This afghan is worked in 2 pieces and then joined together. This is the first piece and is almost complete. I just have a few more rows to go which will include one more color -- maroon. Then I will need to make the second piece and join the two. It's a project I work on only at home at this point because it is so large and heavy.

And last, here is the completed framed cross-stitch of a little verse from Psalms -- also a UFO of many years' duration. I apologize for the blurry photo. I took one with the cross-stitch leaning upright, but that picture didn't show the frame as well, so I decided to use this one. I was going for a rustic look with the frame and think I succeeded pretty well. It was an ugly dark brown frame I found somewhere. I painted it with several coats of a linen color, then several coats of navy blue, before sanding and sealing it. I was pleased that when I sanded it lightly, not only the linen color, but also some of the original dark brown, showed through in places, which really helped to give it the worn old look I was aiming for.


That is about it for my crafting efforts this week. If you have managed to accomplish or even start any crafting, then head on over to Waiting for Him and share your projects. Shereen and others will be eager to see what you have to share. Happy Crafting!

5 comments:

  1. Everything is awesome, but I can't wait to see the baking sampler done!
    The scrap afghan...is it crochet or knit? What do you do about all the thread tails?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I especially love the first cross stitch piece.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!

    Mom2fur, the afghan is crocheted. When I get all of the actual afghan finished, I will weave in all of the thread tails. Then a black border is crocheted around the entire afghan. It really looks nice in the picture in the magazine.. reminds me of a rag rug.

    Have a nice weekend, everyone!
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs.T. These are all great. You cross-stitchers amaze me. But the baking one I really like. I see how the little frame came out. That looks really good.
    The afghan is pretty Jazzy. And it must be huge when you get it all put together. Now I see why it's called scrap. Every color of the rainbow!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:01 AM

    What lovely projects - the little bear is so cute. My x-stitch is laid aside (again!) as I attempt to learn to crochet. Hmmm. It is coming together, the hand-eye co-ordination, but I haven't managed to make anything bigger than a large button yet! Your baking sampler looks great and nearly finished now too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.