Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Salad Days

The weather has been extremely hot here this week. I really don't enjoy it, but am not complaining! One thing that helps is to serve main-dish salads for supper.
(Photo by Taste of Home)
Here's the one I served last night:

CHICKEN RICE SALAD

5 cups cubed cooked chicken
3 cups cooked rice
1 1/2 cups diced green or red pepper
1 1/2 cups sliced celery
1 20-ounce can sliced pineapple, drained and cut into tidbits
3/4 cup mayonnaise (light works fine)
4 tsp. orange juice
2 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
Garlic powder to taste
1 15-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted*

In a large bowl, combine the chicken, rice, diced peppers, celery, and pineapple. In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, orange juice, vinegar, salt, ginger and garlic powder for dressing. Just before serving, gently fold in the oranges and almonds.

* I had no almonds on hand so left them out. It's wonderful either way.

Yield: 10-12 servings

This wonderful recipe is slightly adapted from Taste of Home magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.