Thursday, March 26, 2015

He was published!


Public domain photo from Pixabay
Yes, my dear hubby, Mr. T, recently had a recipe published by Gooseberry Patch.  It is called Grandpa's Sunday Waffles and is the waffle recipe he uses nearly every Sunday morning.   The cookbook he was published in is Christmas at Grandma’s, but unfortunately it is not going to be available for purchase until July or so.  We did receive an advance copy of the book, so we are already enjoying and using it.

If it is just us here for Sunday breakfast, we don't bother with waffles and have something simpler.  But most weekends our two older granddaughters are here, so we make waffles, bacon or sausage, and some special toppings.  I'm going to share our recipes for syrup and for berry sauce, which I usually make with strawberries because the girls prefer it and we have a freezer full of strawberries.

I’ve forgotten where I found the following recipe, but it is a good, easy pancake syrup. Here in New England, we produce real maple syrup and most of us prefer it to the fake stuff. But when frugality is the rule of the day, and we’re out of the real thing, I actually prefer this to the supermarket pancake syrup.

BROWN-SUGAR SYRUP

2 c. packed light brown sugar
1 c. water

Bring sugar and water to boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring once or twice. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve warm. Store leftover syrup in refrigerator. Makes about 2 cups.

This easy homemade syrup is good on pancakes or waffles. It is much tastier than the artificially-flavored syrup, and of course much less expensive than real maple syrup. It makes a great substitute.

BERRY SAUCE FOR PANCAKES OR WAFFLES

1/2 cup sugar
1 Tblsp. cornstarch
1/3 cup water
2 cups blueberries, raspberries, OR cut-up strawberries

Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a 2-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in the water. Add the fruit and bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Serve warm. Makes about 2 cups.

This is a wonderful, versatile recipe that tastes so good on waffles in particular. It’s also good on pancakes or French toast and would probably be good on vanilla ice cream as well. You can make blueberry sauce, raspberry sauce, or strawberry sauce -- all are wonderful. Or you might like to use a mixture of these berries to make a mixed berry sauce. When I do this, I usually also add a few cranberries to the mixture.

Here's what the book looks like:
Photo from Pinterest
 I love the artwork -- but then, I love almost all of the artwork from Gooseberry Patch!

It's been so much fun for me over the years to acquire free books from Gooseberry Patch when they publish one of my recipes or crafts.  Now my hubby is getting in on the fun, too!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats! I will look for it at Cracker Barrel this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Arlene! I had another one published as well, in "Mom Knows Best", another of their new cookbooks. I hope to blog about that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:48 PM

    How exciting! Congratulations Mr. T! :) I have just begun finding some of their cookbooks at thrift stores and really enjoy the short stories/ tips. :) One of my books was given to me after one of my aunts passed away ( it was hers). I have since bought some as gifts for showers etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is neat you can find them at thrift stores, Nikki! A few times a year, Gooseberry Patch has some great sales on their website -- worth checking out. I've also found some nice used ones on Amazon for very little money. I've lost track of how many I've gotten for having a recipe or craft published, but it's quite a few!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warm congrats on the publishing of the recipe! Who doesn't love Gooseberry Patch? Your granddaughters must love weekends with you...those breakfasts sound marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vee, I think the girls do love their weekends here. The waffles are ready at 8, which leaves just enough time for us to eat, get ready, and head off to Sunday School. It's a nice little tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to Mr. T for having his recipe published!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Susan! He is pretty tickled about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.