Tuesday, August 04, 2015

A hike with the grandkids


A view from the trail
I hope to post more about this tomorrow or Thursday, but last Friday Mr. T and I had a lovely surprise ... he had most of the day off while a change in job sites and equipment was taking place.  I had already planned to meet our local daughter and her four kids at the lake.  Mr. T decided that even though he had plenty to do at home (as did I) that a relaxing break was in order.  Off we went to the lake!

There is a nice lakeside hiking trail at this particular state park, and Mr. T and I planned to walk it at some point during the day.  The three older grandkids (ages 11, 9, and 7) found the mid-morning water a little cooler than they liked for swimming, so they were happy to accompany us and warm up.  I will just share some of our pictures and simple captions.  We are still getting used to our camera and the pictures are not top quality, but you get the idea, anyway!
Along the trail.  Orangey blazes like the one on this tree marked our path.
Looking back at how far we had come.  If you click to enlarge the photo, our spot on the beach was near the lifeguard chair farthest to the right.
When the trail leads to a fishing area with rocks, they must be climbed, don't you agree?

Oh so peaceful.  We love this lake.
A sign on a tree proclaimed this to be the Big Rock.  Of course they had to climb it!

The trail brought us within good sight of this little island.
Boys on a rock!
Blurry photo, but this was another big rock
Another view of the island.  I thought this tree was such an interesting shape!
Such a sweet smile!
These kids love the outdoors!
Framed by hemlock boughs.  Those specks are kayaks, I think.
If you click to enlarge, you can see tiny hemlock cones hanging from the boughs.
Photo is blurry, but what an interesting polka-dotted yellow mushroom!
Loved this one!
The hike is supposed to take 30 minutes, but it took us at least an hour to stop and look at different signs on the nature trail, to climb on rocks and admire pretty leaves and unusual mushrooms.  Plus, one of our hiking companions was barefoot -- not that it slowed her down at all!  We were all ready for lunch when we returned to the beach ... and the water had warmed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.