Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Apple/Cranberry Crisp


Vintage cookbook from my collection
Last Sunday morning I needed to whip together a quick dessert to take to potluck.  Coming back from the Wilds of New England, going directly to my dad's from there, made preparing something the night before (my usual procedure) well-nigh impossible.  So the next morning it was!  This easy crisp came to mind.  It's perfect right now when the fresh cranberries and apples are both available.  What makes this crisp really fast and easy is the fact that the apples don't need to be peeled.  And the cranberries give the apples a lovely color and flavor.  I’ve adapted this recipe from the original to make it healthier and lower in fat and sugar.

APPLE CRANBERRY CRISP

3 cups chopped unpeeled apples
2 cups raw cranberries
3/4 cup sugar
TOPPING:
1 1/2 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup canola oil

Combine the apples, cranberries and sugar in a 9” square baking dish or a 2-qt. casserole dish. Mix thoroughly to blend; set aside. Combine topping ingredients until crumbly; spread evenly over fruit layer. Bake at 350º for 1 hour or until the fruit is fork-tender. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.

This is a wonderful dessert to make in the fall when apples and cranberries are both fresh. But it tastes good anytime! I pretty much always keep cranberries in my freezer, and apples are available year round.   Hope your family and friends enjoy this dessert if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.