Friday, October 30, 2015

"When the Birds Go North Again" -- another lovely poem


Photo from Pixabay
I am not sure if this should be categorized as a fall, spring, or even a winter poem.  But I think of it in fall when the birds are leaving for warmer climates.  Sometimes it can make us a bit sad to see the birds leaving and to realize there is a long winter to get through.  But they always come back!  And we know the winter will eventually end.

My mother loved this poem so much that my sister had it done in calligraphy and framed for my mother to display in the living room.  It would make a lovely cross-stitch, too.

When the Birds Go North Again

Oh, every year hath its winter,
    And every year hath its rain
But a day is always coming
    When the birds go North again.
 
When new leaves swell in the forest,
    And grass springs green on the plain,
And the alder's veins turn crimson
    And the birds go North again.
 
Oh, every heart hath its sorrow,
    And every heart hath its pain--
But a day is always coming
    When the birds go North again.
 
'Tis the sweetest thing to remember
   If courage be on the wane,
When the cold dark days are over
    Why, the birds go North again.
__Ella Higginson
 

Nature Pictures by American Poets
Selected and Edited by Annie Russell Marble
(New York: The MacMillan Company. 1899)
Page 75
Isn't this such a lovely, meaningful poem?  I just may think about working up a cross-stitch design for this to help me get through the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.