Sunday, October 11, 2015

Autumn in the Air


 I've posted about this before, but this is a good time to share again.  This little "Autumn in the Air" booklet was one I picked up in a Cracker Barrel in PA on our way to visit our daughter and son-in-law in SC in October 2001. Yes,  just a month after the terrorist attacks on September 11 of that year, we drove south.

 We stopped at this Cracker Barrel for supper, and it was just such a comforting feeling to come into the warm room with its crackling fire and a hostess offering samples of apple crisp.  Even in the midst of recently remembered terror and hatred, we were so blessed by the simple comfort of a warm fire and down-home food and a welcoming smile.  If I recall correctly, we ordered from the breakfast menu.  We were tired and hungry and cold and the idea of breakfast food sounded just right.

 I picked up this free booklet at Cracker Barrel that evening and have kept it ever since as a reminder. I came across it with my other autumn things one year and decided to display it.  I have displayed it most years in the fall ever since.  Here are some of the delights from its pages:




How true this is!
Lovely quilt as background for a fun poem
Some of the items had a Thanksgiving flavor.

Isn't it such a blessing how God encourages our hearts in simple ways every day, even in the darkest of circumstances?  We just need to keep our eyes open for the blessings!

5 comments:

  1. Loved this story Mrs T....Cracker Barrel is my happy place and my comfort food place!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cracker Barrel! It makes me feel all warm and cozy and when I leave I want to go home and bake a pie or something!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of my happy places too, ladies! Too bad there is only the one Cracker Barrel restaurant in our state. We love eating there and they have such great sales in the country store, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have felt welcomed and comforted at Cracker Barrel myself. And I always enjoy shopping in their gift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes -- there is something very comforting indeed about the homey atmosphere, and that big welcoming fireplace. And the gift shop ... yes, I always enjoy shopping there too, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.