Wednesday, May 09, 2018

May 9 Hodgepodge


 Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.  Go on over, copy the questions;  paste and answer them on your own blog.  Then go on back over to Joyce's to link up.   Here are this week's questions:

1. What are your ingredients for a perfect Saturday?
Let's see.  My hubby would have the entire day off and we would have no commitments.  We would go out to breakfast, a hearty enough meal that we can skip lunch and take a hike, or at least a nice long walk.  We could perhaps spend a little time talking about how we're doing spiritually or have a time in God's Word together.  In the afternoon we could take a scenic drive that ends up in a supper picnic on a lake shore or riverbank.

2. What skill do you wish more people took the time to learn?

Grammar usage and punctuation.  Misplaced apostrophes trouble me.  I'd like to see proper use of words as well.  Spell check has really turned this into a problem.   For example, "sneak peak" -- which I have seen a hundred times if I've seen it once.  It should be "sneak peek."  A peak is a mountain.  Seen any mountains sneaking around lately?
On Wheeler Peak in Great Basin National Park -- wild turkeys are in the valley below.
3. What's something you ate as a child you can't stand now as an adult?

Hmmm ... remember those little wax bottles with colored sugar water (or something) in them?  They looked like tiny little soda bottles.  The idea was to bite off the end of the bottle, drink the liquid, and then, if one was so inclined, to chew up the bottle.  I did consume one or two of those in my day, though I was more a fan of their cuteness than of their taste.  Something I would never even consider eating these days!  The same is probably true of lots of candies ... Necco wafers, for instance.

Can you believe these things are still being manufactured and sold?  I found them, and the photo, here: Old Time Candy.
 
4. Something parenting has taught you? If you're not a parent tell us one important lesson you learned from your own parents.

I feel as if I was very inadequate as a parent and that I failed in many ways.  I think I'm learning to leave that with the Lord, realizing that I did the best I could  with what I knew at the time.

One thing I learned from my own parents was how important it is to spend good quality time with grandchildren.  They were so good at it!
Mr. T with Ari
5. Share a favorite quote or saying about mothers or motherhood.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Just made the first Tuna Pasta Salad of the season.  It's a warm sunny day and my hubby is back to work now that mud season is over.   He'll have a long commute -- probably an hour and a half -- so I'm sure he'll be tickled to see one of his favorite summer main dishes on the table for supper.
So ends another Hodgepodge.  Happy Wednesday, everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Tuna Macaroni salad. I've never made that. It sounds wonderful. Why did I never think of that? Now I must make it today for Jack's dinner side dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, Maribeth. I hope your hubby enjoyed this salad as much as mine does!

      Delete
  2. I agree about the little wax bottles....I loved them back in the day!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were just so cute, weren't they? I could seldom resist them even though there were other candies I liked better.

      Delete
  3. That tuna salad looks positively delish. Thanks for the peak! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome for the peak! (You meant the picture of Wheeler Peak, right?) Hope you enjoy the tuna salad if you try it.

      Delete
  4. I love the quotation! So true! And I would add to my perfect day that hike you wrote about. Absolutely! And i know all about how exclamation points should be used, but I like to use them nevertheless!!!!! Lol :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use plenty of exclamation points myself! I am more troubled by misplaced apostrophes than by exclamation points.

      I loved that quotation also. Very well said, I thought.

      Delete
  5. The quote is so very true! I have memories of those little wax bottles too! I remember them seeing somewhat a luxury, something that my mom would rarely let us have...those and also the big red wax lips...LOL! Your perfect Saturday sounds delightful! We all make mistakes as parents and there are many times I wish I could go back and change something I did or didn't do. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, and the candy cigarettes!

      Thanks for the reassuring words re: parenting. Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day!

      Delete
  6. Necco Wafers! If I eat more than one or two I feel sick. I do the wax bottles were more appealing to the eye than the tongue : ) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just prefer chocolate to just about any candy these days. The wax bottles sure were appealing to the eye. I could seldom resist them back in the day, and I think my brothers always bought them.

      Delete
  7. I still like Necco wafers... what’s wrong with me?! LOL

    What a darling picture of Ari and her grandfather. My mother was a wonderful involved grandmother, too.

    Hmmm...your tuna salad is reminding me of a few good summertime things.

    Got a chuckle about the sneaky mountain. ☺️ Those homonyms are so tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with you, Vee, at all, for liking Necco wafers. Plenty of folks must like them, as they're still being made. Myself, I would rather use my candy calories on something really delicious like an Almond Joy.

      Blog about your good summertime things, if you feel so inclined. I'm always looking for good ideas!

      Delete
  8. I wish my Joe liked tuna. He calls it cat food. I have it when we are out for lunch now and then. I agree with your #2 and had completely forgotten about those was bottles we had when we were kids! LOL Thanks for the memory!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some tuna does look like cat food ... I can see Joe's point ... I always buy the solid white type and it is much better.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful and inspiring blog you have... thanks for visiting mine earlier...God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those sweet words, Schotzy! Glad you enjoyed your visit ... please come back any time!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.