Wednesday, May 02, 2018

May 2 Hodgepodge

Delightful, meaningful image above by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
  Wednesday again!  Not to mention a brand new month!  It's time for the Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.  Go on over, copy the questions, and then paste and answer them on your own blog (or in the comments if you don't have a blog).  Then scurry back over to Joyce's to link up!   Here are this week's questions:

1. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes. Is there a flower you associate with a particular memory? Explain.

My dad always smiled when he found Mayflowers and other wildflowers in the woods.  He would bring my mother a tiny bouquet of Mayflowers (trailing arbutus)

Photo from Adirondacks Forever Wild, where you can also read more about this plant
or sometimes an entire plant of a more common wildflower, like violets.  We had some beautiful yellow violets and white violets at my childhood home which flourished from wild plants he had dug up and transplanted.

2. Last time you helped someone? Tell us how.

I helped my husband write some emails to others concerning pulpit supply.   Poor guy is computer illiterate when it comes to doing email.  He either dictates while I type, or writes something up and has me type it.
A pretty tree in Idaho, a few springs ago
3. It's National Salsa Month (the food, not the dance) so tell us, do you like salsa? Hot, medium, or mild? Homemade, store bought, or from your favorite restaurant only?

I do like salsa, both red and green, usually mild.   It's nearly always store bought.  I did have a recipe which I really liked for a raspberry salsa.  It was scrumptious though not at all traditional.  I'll see if I can locate it and share here.
RASPBERRY SALSA
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1 cup canned stewed tomatoes with their juice (cut smaller if desired)
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 mild green chile (fresh or canned), chopped
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
Vinegar OR fresh lemon juice, to taste

Using a fork, mash the raspberries in a medium bowl and stir in the next seven ingredients.  Add vinegar or lemon juice little by little, to taste.  Serve cold.  Makes about 2 cups.

This salsa is from Karyl Bannister's book, Cook & Tell, a book I highly recommend.  (It's out of print, but you should be able to buy it on ThriftBooks.com. )  I like to double this recipe so as to use up the entire can of stewed tomatoes.  Then I would give half of it away.

4. When I was twelve years old... 

I loved bike rides, mysteries, and still played with paper dolls, many with wardrobes I designed and made myself.  And some days I wish I was still 12 years old.

5. It's the first of May so let's run with it-first things first, don't know the first thing about it, first dibs on something, first impression, first rate, first cousin, first string, first come first served, at first light-which phrase can best be applied to something in your life currently or even recently?

Hmmm...  I'm getting a really bad first impression of someone who doesn't appear to know the first thing about a matter he's supposed to be helping me with.  I don't think he's on the first string.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

My brain is completely fried from dealing with the above matter, which I think is now resolved.   My thoughts are all random at this point.  I am trying hard to stay my mind on God and His character and remind myself moment by moment that this is all in His control.  And He has proved Himself faithful again and again.  Truly, His faithfulness is great.

So ends another Hodgepodge.  Happy Wednesday, everyone!

16 comments:

  1. Mrs T, I have a friend whose elderly father writes out his emails then scans them in and sends them. It made me chuckle. Where there is a will there is a way.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Arlene! That story made me chuckle, too. I don't think I'll suggest that route for my hubby. His spelling is not the best!

      Delete
  2. I loved the Betsy McCall paper dolls. My grandma would save her magazines for me, and cutting out those dolls was the first thing i wanted to do when I got to Grandma's house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved them too, Judy. So much. My grandmother lived right next door, and I would always hope she would finish reading that month's McCall's quickly, so I could get at the paper dolls.

      I also had a wonderful Betsy McCall Fashion Designer kit. It included a light box and dozens of paper dolls and outfit components to trace. I still have it, in fact.

      Delete
  3. I hope that dude isn’t your attorney. 😏

    Was shocked to read the raspberry salsa and find there are tomatoes in it. Interesting.

    Mayflowers...have not found any for years. I love their delicate beauty and intoxicating aroma.

    A happy May to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny!

      The raspberry salsa is actually very good. I usually use frozen raspberries in it.

      It's been years since I've seen Mayflowers, too. My father-in-law always knew just where to find them, but he passed away in 2000.

      Delete
  4. That raspberry salsa looks really yummy! Thanks for the recipe!! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salsa is very good, Katie. I hope you enjoy it if you try the recipe.

      Delete
  5. The raspberry salsa sounds fabulous! I just may try making some...thanks for sharing your recipe. I loved playing with paper dolls with my older sisters and if the truth be told, we were probably older than 12 and still playing with them! We used to draw and design our own outfits, cut them out and "dress" our ladies! Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I kept designing paper dolls and outfits long after the age of 12 too, Debby. So much fun!

      Hope you enjoy the raspberry salsa. It's been awhile since I've made a batch ... think I'll plan to do that soon!

      Delete
  6. Paper dolls. Yes, I used to play with them too. This was a fun Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember paper dolls. I had a love/hate relationship with them...I had so much trouble keeping the clothes on the doll! God is faithful...so glad He is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! I can't let myself lose sight of that fact -- God is faithful!

      Delete
  8. Your post reminded me I have a blueberry salsa that's also very tasty. Not traditional, but a nice summer dish for a party and something a little different. Paperdolls. Sigh. They were my absolute favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear of so many fellow paper doll fans. I spent hours with them and so did my girls.

      Your blueberry salsa sounds wonderful. Would you share the recipe?

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.