Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Mid-May Hodgepodge!


 Not sure how this happened so fast, but it's Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.  Go on over, copy the questions, then  paste and answer them on your own blog.  Then zip back over to Joyce's to link up.   Here are this week's questions:

1. What would you say is your biggest day to day challenge?

Trying to keep my priorities in good order and my head above water.  Most days I feel I'm drowning in responsibilities.
Prayer is one of my priorities.
2. May 16th is National Biographers Day. What's a biography you really enjoyed reading? Is this a genre you read regularly?

Hmmm ... it's been awhile since I read a biography.  A long while, since I can't even remember one I enjoyed reading.  Nope, not a genre I read regularly, though sometimes I will pick one up.

3. How important is keeping a clean house? Do you need to de-clutter your life?

The old saying "my home is clean enough to be healthy and messy enough to be happy" (or something like that) probably applies to me.  I do like a clean house, but usually it isn't a top priority to have things spotless.  Neat enough, especially in the downstairs, but not spotless.  Yes, I do need to declutter my life AND my home.  I have a couple of areas in the living room -- a cedar chest and a large round table -- that I've been able to keep free of flat-surface clutter for many weeks now.  Pretty pleased about that.  Lots and lots more decluttering to do, however.

4. You're the 8th dwarf. What's your name?

I spent a little time thinking about this question -- probably more time than it warranted.  I came up with a few possibilities, but in the end I decided to go with my first choice -- Ornery.
Antique card from my collection
5. What's surprised you the most about your life or life in general?

 This is completely God's doing and to His glory, but the pre-salvation me would be very surprised to see how happy and fulfilling my life has been.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Had a great weekend, with an overnight getaway in Vermont on Friday/Saturday, a good day in church Sunday and a fun time of celebrating our son-in-law's birthday and Mother's Day on Sunday evening.  Hopefully in a day or two I can write a post about our wonderful getaway.
Breakfast time at the Innsbruck Inn
Innsbruck Inn. Stowe, VT
So ends another Hodgepodge!  Happy Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. Oh I love your dwarf name Mrs T...that would be mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny that we would pick the same dwarf name!!

      Delete
  2. Ornery? LOL! I can not imagine you being ornery. Anyway, mine would be prickly because when I am in the middle of a long, hard task, I begin to feel prickly, Perhaps that’s why you are feeling ornery, “Do the next thing” became my mantra through my nearly two-year ordeal, Actually, it is not yet done, but oh so close.

    John and I were married in Stowe so have a great fondness for the place. There’s an old-fashioned ice cream shop on one of the side streets that I can highly recommend. 😉 Glad that you had a lovely weekend and that your Beloved is doing his best to get you away from your task every now and then...so important to your well-being. And I know that your testimony is that God has helped you mightily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Do the next thing" is so important, isn't it? I'm thankful you reminded me. Glad your ordeal is close to over.

      I remembered you and John were married in Vermont, but I'd forgotten, if I knew, that it was Stowe. A magical place.

      We actually ate supper at Depot Street Malt Shop that evening! It was a fun place and the food was scrumptious!

      Yes, my Honey is doing his best to get both of us away from our consuming tasks. You are so right too ... God has helped us both mightily. I can see His hand in it every day.

      Delete
  3. I pray some of your responsibilities ease up soon. You know I think retirement is a highly overrated word. I could not wait until I retired from teaching. 31 years. I am very grateful for the career and the small check I still bring in, but you know life fills itself with responsibilities no matter the occupation. I went from full time teacher to full time taking care of the family. Suddenly they all needed me big time. If I stop to think and put a positive spin on it. God knew just exactly when I needed to stop teaching, because the family would need me more. For a long time I was sad that I didn't have time to do all these things I had saved up for. I am learning to navigate them all better. Lots because of your blog and things you suggested to read. I am grateful I met you Mrs. T. As for the clutter, whew going through all my parents' stuff and my husband's parents' stuff has been an ongoing chore. I have accomplished a lot, but it will take even more time. I am really trying not to buy anything new myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, this comment encouraged me so much! I am so thankful for your sweet encouragement, and I am also thankful for having met you through blogging. I'm thankful for any way in which I've been able to encourage you. I hope that one day perhaps we can meet in person.

      I feel a little better knowing that you are still going through all of your parents' and your hubby's parents' stuff. I have my parents' stuff, things from my grandparents, things from a brother and sister who died young, and more. My husband's mother has 6 other kids and I think we will step back from going through her stuff when the time comes. Our solution might be a bit extreme, so the others will get on with the task better without us!

      I'm with you on not buying anything new. I tend to think long and hard about new purchases now.

      Delete
  4. Ha! Ornery!! Love it! I also like this: "my home is clean enough to be healthy and messy enough to be happy" A good description for our home here! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! Glad you enjoyed! I appreciate your visits to my kitchen table!

      Delete
  5. Oooh Stowe! So pretty! I'm glad you had a happy Mother's Day. I like your dwarf name : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked your dwarf name too, Joyce. Yes, Stowe was pretty and I'm sure it's even prettier now as spring advances. We'll be going back!

      Delete
  6. Ornery, huh? LOL. I'm glad you had a nice getaway. Let me know when you find the key to successful decluttering. I could sure use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm finding one of the keys to successful decluttering, though I have a L-O-N-G way to go -- it's just facing the reality that I most likely will never use the item again. I was close to tears when discarding many magazines I'd saved, but I know it was the right decision.

      Our getaway was brief but felt much longer. So thankful.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.