Sunday, September 10, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


Here's another in my most recent Sunday Scripture series.  I've been posting about my simple study of a little devotional journal titled Reflections: The Woman God Sees., by Jane L. Fryar -- a journal my dear young friends Sam and Jennifer gifted me.  It has a daily devotional one works through -- I think around a month's worth.  It was a blessing to me when I worked through it, so I I'm sharing here.  Several readers have told me they're enjoying it. 

For this week, the featured passage was 2 Samuel 22:20. The devotional noted, "We can count on [God's] help, because He delights in us!" and posed the question: "How does that truth help you to remain patient, calm, and courageous?"  I chose to SOAP 2 Samuel 22:20 and also to consider Psalm 18:19 as I considered this question.

S= "He brought me forth also into a large place; He delivered me, because He delighted in me."  (2 Samuel 22:20)

O= C.I. Scofield titles 2 Samuel 22  "David's song of deliverance."  If we look back at verse 1 of this chapter we see this description: "And David spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD had delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul: And he said ... "  The remainder of David's song is continued in the 50 verses that follow in chapter 22 of 2 Samuel.

The exact same words of 2 Samuel 22:20 are recorded in Psalm 18:19.  Scofield titles Psalm 18 "Praise to the God who delivers His own".  

The Bible's actual, lengthy title for Psalm 18 is "A Psalm of David, the servant of the LORD, who spoke unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul.  And he said ...". The 50 verses of Psalm 18 are then recorded.

In 2 Samuel 22:20, the cross-reference for "large place" is Psalm 118:5 -- "I called upon the LORD in distress; the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place." 

The above verse is also used as a cross-reference for "He brought me forth also".  As is 

Psalm 31:7-8 -- "I will be glad and rejoice in Thy mercy; for Thou hast considered my trouble; Thou hast known my soul in adversities. And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy.  Thou hast set my feet in a large room."

A= In answer to the question posed above: "How does that truth help you to remain patient, calm, and courageous?" I included a few Scripture verses along with my answers.  I wrote, 

We can remain patient, because we know that God will act.  He will deliver us in His perfect timing.  

"Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him; fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass." (Psalm 37:7)

We can be calm because we know that help is available and on the way.  We can pray, and leave it in His hands, and not panic.  

"He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.  Then are they glad because they are quiet; so He bringeth them into their desired haven."  (Psalm 107:29-30)

We can be courageous because we know that God is with us in our difficulty and will fight for us. 

"Be strong, and of good courage ... for the LORD thy God, He it is who doth go with thee." (Deuteronomy 31:6)

P= "Lord, I praise You so much for the infallibility of Your Word.  It is such a blessing to be able to read how You have worked in the lives of Your people through the centuries and how You have answered prayer.  As I see how David cried out to You, and how You answered his prayer, I know that You will do the same for me.  I can count on Your help, so I can remain patient, calm, and courageous -- even in trials.  I praise You in Jesus' name, Amen."

There is the Sunday Scripture for this week!  I hope it was a blessing.

 


 

2 comments:

  1. Amen. Thank you for this. It hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it truly was a blessing. I loved those verses and am so glad you cross referenced them with the Psalms to give us more clarity. They are all comforting to me. God is with us, and He will deliver us from our enemies, and He will put us in a safe place. Oftentimes He is already working to put these things together for us when we don't even realize that is what He is doing. How great is our God!!! We are so blessed to be His children...the children in whom He delights!!! What a gift!!!! Thank you for sharing this today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.