Sunday, October 08, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


Here's another in my most recent Sunday Scripture series.  I've been posting about my simple study of a little devotional journal titled Reflections: The Woman God Sees., by Jane L. Fryar -- a journal gifted me by some dear young friends   It has a daily devotional one works through -- about a month's worth or so.  It was a blessing to me when I worked through it, so I've been sharing here.  Several readers have told me they're enjoying it, and I'm so thankful for that!

The Scripture for today is 1 Corinthians 13:12.  The assignment was this: "What will it be like to see Jesus face-to-face?  Think about the promise of 1 Corinthians 13:12.  Then write about it."  Logically enough, I chose to SOAP 1 Corinthians 13:12 as I considered this.

S= "For now we see in a mirror, darkly; but then, face to face; now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known."  (1 Corinthians 13:12)

O= This verse is right near the end of 1 Corinthians 13, often referred to as "the love chapter".   Warren Wiersbe explains that "The main evidence of maturity in the Christian life is a growing love for God and for God's people, as well as a love for lost souls."  He adds, "Few chapters of the Bible have suffered more misinterpretation and misapplication than 1 Corinthians 13.  Divorced from its context, it becomes 'a hymn to love' or a sentimental sermon on Christian brotherhood.  Many people fail to see that Paul was still dealing with the Corinthians' problems when he wrote these words: the abuse of the gift of tongues, division in the church, envy of others' gifts, selfishness, impatience with one another in the public meetings, and behavior that was disgracing the Lord."  He goes on to note that Paul explains three characteristics of Christian love that show its importance in ministry: 1) love is enriching; 2) love is edifying; 3) love is enduring.

Believer's Bible Commentary notes concerning verse 12, "As long as we are on earth, we see things dimly and indistinctly, as if we were looking in a blurry mirror.  Heaven, by contrast, will be like seeing things face to face, i.e. without anything between to obscure the vision.  Now our knowledge is partial, but then we will know just as we also are known -- which means more fully.  [O]ur knowledge will be vastly greater than it is now."

For the phrase "now we see" cross-references include:

"But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord."  (2 Corinthians 3:18)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight." (2 Corinthians 5:7)

The word "darkly" literally means "in a riddle".

For the phrase "face to face" cross-references include:

 "Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, that in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven."  (Matthew 18:10)

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is." (1 John 3:2)

For the phrase "even as also I am known" cross-references include:

"The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble, and He knoweth them that trust in Him."   (Nahum 1:7)

"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine."  (John 10:14)

"If any man love God, the same is known of Him."  (1 Corinthians 8:3)

"Nevertheless, the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are His; and Let everyone that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity."  (2 Timothy 2:19)

 A= In answer to the question "What will it be like to see Jesus face-to-face?  Think about the promise of 1 Corinthians 13:12.  Then write about it." I wrote: 

"I really can't even imagine what it will be like.  I hope that I may hear "Well done, good and faithful servant", but beyond that my imagination cannot go.  I love the words the hymnwriter penned: 

"And I shall see Him face to face, and tell the story, Saved by grace!"

Certainly I will be thanking and praising Him throughout eternity, along with countless others saved by grace.

The section "Seeing Through Jesus' Eyes" notes, "We look forward to seeing Jesus face-to-face, but He longs for that meeting even more!  Try thinking about that experience through Jesus' eyes.  What do you imagine?"

I wrote: I'm trying, but I certainly can't imagine how that will be.  He certainly will look at me through eyes of love, seeing one of His blood-bought children.

P= "Lord, I know that at this time we can only dimly imagine what it will be like to see You face to face.  I am so thankful that You know those who are Yours, and that one day, we will know You as fully as You know us.  That is truly something to look forward to!  I love You, Lord.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is this week's Sunday Scripture!




1 comment:

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.