Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Art of the hodgepodge

 


 Well, it's Wednesday again, and that means it's time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.   I've missed getting in on the Hodgepodge for some time -- in fact, for 6 weeks or so -- but today's questions are doable, so here we go!

1. October 25th is International Artists Day ... do you have a favorite artist? If so tell us who and why. 

I have many favorites -- you can see some on my Art that Inspires Me Pinterest board -- but probably my absolute favorite artist would be Fred Swan.  I love his work because he paints Vermont so accurately and (although I live in New Hampshire and the two states are not at all the same) the scenes he paints are those I have seen and savored all my life.  I also love that he is self-taught, and that way, way back in the day he was my friend's math teacher.  You can read a bit more about Fred Swan here.  We have had many calendars featuring his work, several Christmas card designs, and a number of jigsaw puzzles.  You can look here to see one of our completed puzzles.  The two scenes below are Christmas cards.


2. Would you describe yourself as artistic? Elaborate. 

People have told me I am,  but I think what they really mean is creative.  I guess I have somewhat of an artistic eye; certain types of beauty, and even colors just speak to me.  And it's almost a physical ache sometimes that I can't capture that beauty in some way.

I do love making things, especially for gifts or for our home,  and have created lots of fun projects over the years.  You can see many gifts I've made (and some that others have made for me) here in the label cloud: handmade gifts.  Or maybe look under sewing, embroidery, cross stitch, crochet, etc. also in the label cloud.

A hand-sewed felt tea wallet
Crocheted hot mats

Embroidered pillow cases
Counted cross-stitch piece

3. What's a skill, task, hobby, or job you've done so often you now have it 'down to a fine art'? 

Really, I'm not sure there is anything in my life I would put in that category. I might say baking cookies, for example, or writing a blog post, or preparing a Sunday School lesson -- but I have snags come up often enough in every area to keep me humble.

The delightful Scripture card above is an antique, from the collection of my Great-Aunt Sadie.

4. How often do you dine out? Fast food, fine dining, or somewhere in between? Tell us about a less than stellar restaurant experience you've had recently (or not so recently if that's easier).  

We might eat out once or twice a month.  Almost never could it be characterized as "fine dining", but we seldom eat fast food either.  We are much more diner type people, enjoying comfort food in comfortable surroundings.  I can't even remember the last bad restaurant meal we had.  Fish and chips (below) is definitely one of our favorite restaurant meals.

5. Do you celebrate Halloween? To what extent? Are there trick or treaters where you live? 

We really don't celebrate Halloween.  The closest I might come would be a pumpkin on the doorstep.  Every year it becomes more appalling to me that people think gigantic skeletons are a fun way to decorate.  Nothing funny about death, people.  We have not had trick or treaters in our neighborhood in years.

My fall decor tends much more toward harvest-y than Halloween-y.

 

6. Insert your own random thought here.  

It's been a really odd foliage season here.  It began (if one could call this a beginning) with leaves turning yellow and brown on many of the maples and just dropping off.  Some people were saying there would be no real foliage season, others saying it would be "muted", and others were saying it would still be beautiful, just that it would be later than usual.

It seems the "later than usual" prediction was the right one.  It has been a good 2 weeks, maybe more, behind schedule.  But it was definitely here, just later than usual.  And the maple leaves that remained on the trees turned their usual brilliant colors.







There's the Hodgepodge for this week.  So happy I could join in this time!


12 comments:

  1. Love seeing those leaves! Thank you for sharing them with us. I think you are very talented and creative. I wish I could do the sewing projects, etc. like you have done. I just never developed the knack or skill for it and when I do try to do something it is always a big frustration for me. So I appreciate other people's "gifts". I love those Christmas cards of the New England homes/villages. I was not familiar with the artist, but I bet I've seen his work and didn't realize it was him. Thank you for sharing it with us. We are not big on "Halloween", per se', here either. But since we moved to this house we discovered that our neighborhood gets LOTS of trick or treaters, so we do give out lots of candy. It is fun to see the children all parading by our house in their fun costumes. I am not into the scary or macabre ones either, but many of the kids have really cute costumes and they are so proud of them so it is fun to be a part of their fun for that evening. I hope I have purchased enough candy for this year. Last year I ran out early and had to close the door and turn the light out before all the kids were done in the neighborhood. I felt bad about that! So I hope I do better this time. Oh, re: eating out, yes we prefer the diner style of restaurant, home town country cooking. Or a good seafood restaurant when we want to celebrate...but it is still casual dining. We don't go to posh places with posh prices! LOL. Have a blessed rest of your week, and enjoy what's left of the autumn leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics of the foliage! We saw a lot in N. Georgia this past weekend, which made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures of the foliage. I have been surprised this year, that the trees are really holding on to their leaves. It is so beautiful to see the beautiful foliage on the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with Fred Swan, but his work that you shared is beautiful. I think I'd describe myself the same way - not artistic per se, but creative. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy October, I am curious why New Hampshire and Vermont are not alike. That is so interesting to me, because I thought they were the same. I have never visited your part of the country. I do hope to someday.
    Wisconsin also had a late foliage color season. Everyone was blaming it on the drought. Now we are getting rain, rain and more rain.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I did comment... but maybe it did not go through..
    Wisconsin also had the same late color change, we blamed it on the drought.
    Happy October,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would definitely say you are artistic!!:) I love that tea wallet. Love it! I, too, am appalled at the decorations for Halloween. Why does everything have to turn morbid? Oh my but I do enjoy fish and chips. I ordered this past weekend, in fact! And thanks for introducing us to Fred Swan! I love that type of art. Have a wonderful day...thoroughly enjoyed your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your creations, and those tree pictures are so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're certainly in a great part of the country for color this time of year. And I like the art too, very New England-y : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - the trees/leaves are so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fred Swan is an artist I wouldn't tire of. Lovely scenes to enjoy. You are creative and artistic with your creations. How nice to express yourself in this way. We enjoy our fish and chips meals, too. Happy end of October to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your colorful tree pictures are a delight. And the fungus on that tree is terrific! We're having an odd autumn here - a little late, I think. Around here it's still mostly green as you look out over the landscape. I think it's going to change dramatically next week.

    That little tea wallet is so cute! And useful, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.