Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Easiest homemade ice cream!

(Photo by Taste of Home)
Some years ago I clipped this recipe from a Country Woman magazine:  Rocky Road Freeze.  The recipe is for an easy homemade ice cream which requires no ice cream freezer or other special equipment -- just your regular home freezer.  It also doesn't involve beating the partially frozen mixture as some no-machine ice creams do.  You just mix up a few ingredients, whip some cream and fold it in, and add some mix-ins like mini chocolate chips, nuts, and mini marshmallows.  Then you pile the mixture into a plastic container, cover it and freeze for 6 hours or so until it is firm.  The recipe says to allow the ice cream to set at room temperature for 10 minutes before scooping, but I haven't found that necessary.

I finally got around to trying this last week.  The only changes I made were to use my own homemade chocolate syrup rather than buying it; and to use toasted pecans rather than peanuts.  It came out very good, and everyone who has tried it has enjoyed it ... well, except for one six-year-old whose missing front teeth make it hard to chew chocolate chips and pecans.  Maybe your family would like to try this easy ice cream, too!  I think it would be an ideal recipe for kids to help with.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.