Friday, November 15, 2013

Finally! A back-on-track homemaking challenge


It took me awhile to get it together, but finally I arrived at a promising plan for the back-on-track challenge I've been wanting to do in the area of homemaking.  Generally, I do pretty well with just writing something out, but in this case, where it involved a holiday and the busy months of November and December, I needed to see it in graphic form.  So I printed out 2 blank calendars, one for each month, and began charting out my challenge.

And here is what I came up with:
The challenge will run from today, November 15, to Saturday, December 14.  I am not including Sundays in my challenge, but could use an hour or two on Sunday if something very important needs doing.  I'm using FlyLady's basic zones** with a couple of tweaks of my own.

And here's what the challenge looks like broken down by weeks:
Week 1 -- November 15-16 -- Zone 3, the bathrooms
Week 2 -- November 18-23 -- Zone 4, the bedroom
Week 3 -- November 25-30 -- Zone 3, the living room (and the computer/craft room)
Week 4 -- December 2-7 -- Zone 1, the front porch, entry and dining room (plus hallways and stairs)
Week 5 -- December 9-14 -- Zone 2, the kitchen

Here's what I plan to do:
* Do the weekly home blessing** each week, even if it is spread out over several days.
* Declutter 15 minutes daily in the zone for each week.
* Do Kelly's missions** daily in the zone for each week.
* During the last three weeks of the challenge, decorate for Christmas in the zone for the week (this will be done after Thanksgiving in week 1).

In general, I have no trouble keeping up with tasks like dishes, menu planning, meal preparation, laundry, or bathrooms.  But in other areas I tend to not keep up as well as I'd like.  So, I am hoping that this challenge will get me back on track and help me prepare for the holidays at the same time.  Anyone care to join me?

I hope to check in every few days and update my progress on the challenge.  I think it's fairly realistic.

** If you are interested in taking part in these challenges and are unfamiliar with these terms, check out FlyLady.net for help.  You'll find a link to FlyLady at right in the sidebar under Links.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the ideas. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Abby! I *think* it looks workable. So far, so good, anyway!

    I haven't forgotten about your email and will be answering it soon, I hope! I have a draft started. Life is just too busy, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are busy at our house too getting ready for Thanksgiving. I have a lot of company coming in so it will be hectic. I plan to get lots done this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Arlene! I am thankful I don't have any guests coming who will stay overnight. For the past few years, we have mostly invited friends from church for our Thanksgiving dinner. It's always a great time of fellowship.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.