Monday, December 14, 2015

Small projects for a Christmas fabric stash, part 2


As I mentioned in the last post, I definitely have quite the Christmas fabric stash.  In fact, I even have a Pinterest board for my virtual Christmas Fabric Stash on Pinterest  Here are a few more projects to help you use up that stash!  

You can see one of my rag garlands in the photo at top.  And here is a rag garland in a different color scheme, in the living room, holding up some sweet silhouette ornaments made by my daughter out West.  The link is below the photo.  These garlands put very small pieces of fabric to good use.



 Rag Garlands
 I don't have a link for these hot mats (which will protect your dining table from hot dishes), but  they are pretty simple to make.  Just cut 2 squares of Christmas fabric (they need not be matching) whatever size you like.  I usually use 8 to 10 inch squares, but I vary it depending on the size of fabric scraps I have available.  Then cut a piece of cotton batting the same size.  Place the fabric squares right sides together and layer the cotton batting on top.  Pin the edges carefully so the layers don't slip and machine-sew around the edges, using a half-inch seam allowance and leaving a 2-inch area on one side unstitched for turning.  Now turn the mat right side out, using a chopstick or other implement to carefully and neatly poke out the corners.  Press the mat, being sure to tuck in the raw edges (the gap you had left unstitched) inside to neatly match up with the rest of the mat.  Press again.  Then, using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, stitch all the way around the mat, which provides a nice finish and neatly closes up that gap.  Press again and you are done!
More hot mats
 You can make mug rugs the same exact way, using smaller squares of fabric.


Christmas fabrics also can be used to make beautiful table runners and placemats for your holiday table.  I don't have instructions for these, but this link: Christmas placemats and table runner tells you where I found the pattern.

 Vintage-Style Pillowcases can, of course, be made from any fabric, but it is fun to make Christmas pillowcases to really showcase a seasonal fabric.  Here are some that I have made.

Mug rugs are some of my favorite things to make.  You can get so creative.  The mug rugs below were made using this link as a starting point:
Tea Time Mug Rug

 
 A simple throw is easy to make as well.  The links below tell you how I made these.  The flannel one has a plain dark green flannel on the reverse side.  Just fold it the other side out to use at other times of the year.


Simple Flannel Throw

Christmas Fabric Throw

I used a holly print fabric for the reverse side of this one.
 So there you have a few more projects!  Enjoy playing with the Christmas fabrics in your stash.  I'm linking this post up with Sandi's No Place Like Home at Rose Chintz Cottage today.

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. T, you have shared so many great ideas here. I love the mug rugs and the pillow cases especially. Thank you for sharing these at No Place Like Home and have a fabulous week.

    Christmas blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi, I am glad you enjoyed seeing these simple projects! I hope that your readers and link party participants enjoy them. I think I will be making some more mug rugs after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.