Sunday, December 06, 2015

Pepparkakor Cookies



I've been looking back at my archives, thinking about sharing something from each December.  The following recipe originally posted in 2006 is one I've shared a few times, but I firmly believe that a good recipe is worth sharing more than once!  I know that there are new people stopping in at my kitchen table all the time, and wouldn't want them to miss out, so here it is.


Pepparkakor are Swedish spice cookies. This particular recipe is a little different in that it calls for the juice and grated rind of an orange.  I love the hint of orange in this cookie in addition to the spices.  They will add such a Christmasy aroma to your home! Don't be scared off by the fact that you have to roll and cut them. This is a very easy dough to work with. Here's the recipe:

PEPPARKAKOR
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar

1 Tblsp. dark molasses
1 egg 

 3 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tblsp. cinnamon
1 Tblsp. ginger
1 Tblsp. cloves
Juice and grated rind of 1 orange  


Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy; add molasses and egg. Mix until blended. Sift flour, soda and spices into creamed mixture. Add orange juice and rind; mix until well blended. 

Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8” thickness. Cut into heart or reindeer shapes.
Transfer to cookie sheets.   I usually sprinkle the cutouts with red sugar at this point, but if you wanted you could wait and add a touch of white icing to the finished, cooled cookies.  Or they are lovely with no embellishment at all!

Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes,
until brown. Cool on rack and store in a covered tin. Makes at least 3 to 4 dozen cookies.

I found this recipe in an old Country Woman magazine. The lady who submitted it said that these were the first cookies she baked each year to make her house really smell like Christmas. It works! Of course, you need not limit yourself to hearts and reindeer; that’s just what I usually do. Sometimes I cut some pine trees and moose as well. These are yummy whatever shape you choose to make them, and if you like a good spice cookie that is also decorative, I hope you will try this recipe.

3 comments:

  1. With a husband of Swedish descent and the name to prove it, I should give these a try. Perhaps tonight! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rats! No oranges, not even any orange juice. I'll remedy that tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, too bad! I just noticed, looking at the recipe again, that somehow the flour measurement got tucked in beside the egg. Odd, but I've corrected it now. Hope you and John enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.