Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Christmas preparations progress report


This scan of a lovely Christmas card by artist Kathy Lawrence always brings a smile.
It's pretty slow progress.  But I'll just list some of the Christmasy things that are getting done.

I'll post about this more in my Christmas blog, but Saturday morning we took three of our grandkids out for our annual traditional shopping trip to buy gifts for their parents and baby sister.  Breakfast at McDonalds is always a hit with them.

That afternoon I went (along with my daughter and granddaughter) to a ladies' Christmas fellowship and Yankee swap.  Always a fun time.  I made an Easy Cheese Log and cookie tray to bring along.  As part of my gift for the swap, I included one of these Christmas Star Dishcloths which always seem to be admired.  I only have one more in my gift stash, so I need to get busy and make more after Christmas.

That night when I got home I made a batch of   Whipped Shortbread Cookies.  Some of these would be added to my cookie tray for Sunday, while others went into a tin for the freezer.

On Sunday afternoon we were blessed to attend a Christmas vespers service which our daughter, son-in-law and three grandchildren were participating in.  It was lovely and a nice way to prepare our hearts for Christmas.

And I've also finished a couple of handmade gifts, wrapped a few gifts, purchased a few gifts, sent some Christmas cards and displayed some we've received, and bought more baking ingredients.

A highlight of my Christmas preparations this year has been, as I've mentioned, the lovely online Advent calendar which you can find here: 25 Days of God-Given Gifts by Abby, at Little Birdie Blessings.

Lovely graphic is by Abby, at Little Birdie Blessings.
I've been using the SOAP method of Bible study to meditate on the verse Abby shares each day.  What a blessing!  If you haven't visited Abby, you will want to.  It's not too late!



4 comments:

  1. Lots of activity around your house for sure, and it all sounds wonderful, I especially am attracted to your whipped shortbread cookies, those sound delightful! My grandmother used to always make then, and it has been a while since I've made them. Hope you are having a blessed and wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing the advent series. It means so much to you. Many Christmas blessings to you and yours. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the festivities of Christmas but I am finding as I get older, I need a nap between all the hustle and bustle. We have a dinner tonight, a luncheon tomorrow and a trip to see my mother this weekend. Maybe I can nap in the car!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies, I love having you all here! Right now my kitchen table contains two cooling racks full of chocolate butter cookies dipped in various sprinkles and peppermint bits. Please help yourself and I can brew a fresh pot of coffee or make some Christmas tea!

    Spicing -- I hope you make some whipped shortbread. They are wonderful and so easy.

    Abby -- you are welcome! I'm the one who should thank *you*. That Advent calendar is just so encouraging. I shared the link with a local friend and she is enjoying it so much, just looks forward every day to seeing what that day's gift will be. I've always loved Advent calendars, but this is so special.

    Arlene -- wow, you have a lot going on! I hope you can nap in the car on the way to see your mother.

    Christmas blessings to each of you as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.