Wednesday, July 19, 2017

July 19 Hodgepodge


 Can it really be Wednesday again, and time for another Hodgepodge?  It must be, for Joyce has new questions.  Why not go on over and snag them for yourself at From This Side of the Pond, post the answers on your own blog, and then go back there to link up?  So here we go with this week's questions:

1. Growing up, were you close to your grandparents? Tell us one or two specific things you remember about them.

My paternal grandfather died long before I was born, and my dad's mother, who lived several hours away, was busy earning a living as a practical nurse.  So I didn't see her much at all.  I appreciated and enjoyed her, but wasn't close to her.

My maternal grandfather died when I was four.  I have very few memories of him, other than he stopped by to see me often (they lived next door) and he always had candy in his pockets.
My maternal grandmother was the matriarch of a large family and successfully ran a farm and business after her husband died.  I'm not sure I'd say we were close, but I did spend a lot of time with her and I learned a great deal from her, especially in the kitchen.  I know I was also greatly impacted by her love of beauty and her creative bent.  She also had a beautiful singing voice, and I loved it when she would sing in the car or around the house.

2. What's an item you were attached to as a child? What happened to it?

Evidently Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was just becoming famous, for I'm told I had a Rudolph toy.  I don't remember if it was a stuffed animal or some sort of soft plastic, but apparently I did love it.  No idea what happened to it, but I expect it's probably still at my parents' home.
No Rudolph here ... looks like a baby doll.
3. When you look out your window, do you see the forest or the trees (literally and figuratively)? Explain.

I see the forest, literally.  We are surrounded by woods here.  I think (if I understand the saying correctly) that I also see the forest, figuratively.  I think that I tend to be more of a big-picture type person -- and for me,  that's a good thing because it's important to remember that God sees the big picture and He wants us to look at things that way too.  Of course, God is also a God of detail, and so it's good to look at individual trees as well.  We need to take time to notice the details and thank God for how He works in them.  But we never want to get so caught up in the details of a situation that we fail to step back and consider the big picture.

4. Do you like sour candies? Which of the 'sour' foods listed below would you say is your favorite?
grapefruit, Greek yogurt, tart cherries, lemons, limes, sauerkraut, buttermilk, or kumquats 
Have you ever eaten a kumquat? What's your favorite dish containing one of the sour foods on the list?

 I don't particularly like sour candies, other than a lemon drop occasionally.

Of the foods listed, I guess my favorite would probably be grapefruit, but I also love lemon.

I have never eaten a kumquat.

Here's a great lemon recipe:Lemon Trifle.

Photo from Taste of Home
Or, if you would like something more savory using lemon, how about the Lemon Pasta that's a side dish in this recipe?

5. July 1st marked the mid point of 2017. In fifteen words or less, tell us how it's going so far.

It's become a very challenging year with much time spent out of my comfort zone.
Now this is IN my comfort zone -- at a favorite ice cream place.
6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Too many thoughts going through my head to choose one, so I'll add a verse that's all about random thoughts:  "In the multitude of my thoughts within me, Thy comforts delight my soul."  (Psalm 94:19)
Beautiful graphic by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings

10 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful scripture...it perfectly describes what goes on with me often. That your grandfather had candies in his pockets made me grin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so enjoying all the hodge podge grandparent stories. I was close to my maternal grandmother, paternal not so much. I hope my grands will remember me as a loving force in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandmother sounds like an incredible woman! All these memories everyone is sharing are great.
    That verse from Psalms is a favorite. I wish my daughter would come to know the Lord and find that peace. She struggles so with depression and anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it wonderful to have those scriptures committed to memory! That lemon pasta sounds good. Love the dollies in the rocking chair! I'd stick close to the grandpa with candy in his pocket. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That verse is perfect. I have felt that one a lot this past couple of years. I have to remind myself it is a season.
    I was very close to my maternal grandparents. My paternal ones died before I was born. We lived very close to my grandparents and I visited daily.
    The ice cream setting looks like the perfect spot to eat ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, but that Lemon Trifle looks good! I really enjoyed your answers today and especially #3. A fun hodgepodge all the way around! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your thoughts about your grandmother singing reminded me how much I loved hearing my grandma whistle. She was quite good at it and would whistle entire songs while she worked. It was a sweet sound.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your writing is beautiful and inspirational my friend!

    Great answers from you,just like I didn't see my paternal parents but I am lucky to spend sometime with my maternal parents and learnt quite a life from them .the base you call it.
    I absolutely LOVED my visit here
    Thank you for sharing the grace of your pure soul with us

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lovely view out of your window ! My grandma didn't sing, but she told me a lot of very wise things which helped me later in life !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know what it is about grandparents having candy in their pockets but mine did too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.