Saturday, November 16, 2019

Enchilada sauce mix


In my November randomness post, I alluded to using an enchilada sauce mix, and some readers were interested in the recipe.  Alas, I find that that recipe is not on my computer anywhere.  I have it scribbled down on the recipe for the Tortilla Enchilada Soup, but cannot find it elsewhere.  I don't even know where I found it to begin with.  Hence this post.

ENCHILADA SAUCE MIX (for equivalent to 1 can red enchilada sauce)

1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Combine with 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes to approximate 1 can of enchilada sauce.

Or, and this is what I do: quadruple the recipe, measuring the spices into a small bowl, and mix them well.  Transfer to a small jar and label.  When ready to use, combine 2 Tablespoons of the spice mixture with the 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes.

This has worked very well in every recipe I've tried it in.  As I mentioned to Vee, I really don't know how authentic it tastes, but it's great in recipes and the price is right!

10 comments:

  1. I need to go to The Christmas Tree shop for some spices. There are several on the list that I don’t have. Thanks for the recipe! (It’s really close to the other one.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ocean State Job Lot has spices inexpensively too, if one of those is closer to you. 😊.

    I did notice many of the spices were the same as in the other recipe, but the proportions seem a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! Thanks for suggesting it.

      Delete
  3. Sarah, this sounds like a marvelous recipe, and I think quadrupling the recipe would be an excellent idea, both money and time-saving! Thank you for sharing the recipe! Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Marilyn! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. That sounds good. It is very similar to a Taco Seasoning recipe that I mix up and keep on hand for use in tacos or enchiladas. I found the recipe online. I don't think mine has any cornstarch in it, however. I may need to try that. Yes, it is much cheaper than buying the packaged variety, and I think it tastes better too, and I can control the amount of "spice" if I don't want it quite that spicy! Thank you for sharing this with us. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, Pam! I also make a taco seasoning mix, and that also has cornstarch in it. I think that the bit of cornstarch really helps when using it for tacos, in particular. And yes, I agree that it tastes better too!

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've ever used enchilada sauce, but this has me wanting to make some now. :) I have a couple of mixes I try to keep on hand - taco seasoning and a chili seasoning mix I got from Taste of Home years ago. Homemade seasoning mixes are a great time and money saver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I keep a jar of homemade taco seasoning mix on hand, also a ranch dressing mix and a zesty Italian dressing mix. I use them in recipes, not salad dressing. I have an onion soup mix that I really like, but lately I'm having trouble finding the beef bouillon granules it calls for. I also make a pumpkin pie spice and an apple pie spice.

      Delete
  6. This sounds so great, Mrs. T.! I would love to try it. Thank you for finding the recipe for us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.