Tuesday, November 05, 2019

Tuesday thankfulness


Wonderful graphic by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
The weekend was very busy and there was no time to post a Friday five, so I am going with a thankful Tuesday.  I'm participating in the Making Your Home a Haven Challenge this year, and the theme for Week 1 is Gratitude, so posting this today seems just right.  Here goes:

1.  Strength and stamina to look after four grandchildren for the weekend!  (We spent the days at our house and the nights at their home.)  The kids were great and so helpful.  One example:  At one point after Saturday's breakfast I suggested the dish drainer could use emptying so I could start the breakfast dishes. Instantly the three big kids converged on the kitchen and flew around putting things in their proper places. 

2.  Lots and lots of furniture moved with the help of 15-year-old grandson Sam.  My parents' dressers and a nightstand moved to our home; one of our dressers becoming a storage area for my Etsy items; some antique furniture from our home moved to storage until we can decide how to sell it; other pieces of furniture destined for the dump as soon as a dump run can be scheduled; well, you get the idea.  Lots still to do, but lots got done.

3.  Coupons to eat out at Subway on Saturday night.  Not sure I could have produced a meal that evening after having spent a lot of time cooking for Sunday.   Again, the kids are so good and were so appreciative of this treat.  Not saying this because they are our grandchildren, but kids like this are a blessing to be around!

3.  Acquiring a new-to-us wood stove for the kitchen to replace the ancient one we've used for years.  With Sam's help Mr. T got all of the new stove pipe in place and the stove is up and running!  It's cozy and looks so nice too.

4.  Having longtime friends over for lunch after church on Sunday!  Due to circumstances and busyness it was a simple meal -- Italian Wedding Soup in the crockpots, purchased Italian bread, and then Apple Crisp and ice cream for dessert -- but it all worked out and of course the fellowship was the most important thing.

5.  An extra hour of sleep on Saturday night!  I am not a fan of Standard Time; however, in this case the extra hour of sleep was hugely helpful.  The three big kids all woke up in plenty of time to get ready for church and the little one slept on until awakened.  And Mr. T and I were so thankful for the additional sleep for ourselves.

6.  A beautifully sunny morning Monday for our dear friend's interment at the New Hampshire State Veterans Cemetery.  We had prayed for good weather and for the day to not be cold, so that his widow need not stand out in the cold.  When we saw how beautiful it was at that time, we knew we were seeing an answer to prayer.  Later, the day clouded in and grew chilly, but we were so thankful for sun and warmth yesterday morning!

I could go on and on ... there is so much to be thankful for!  But I'll end this post and get back to work...

17 comments:

  1. What wonderful blessings you've had this week. And what a great time you had with your grands - all pitching in to work together. This was such an uplifting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Becki! I am glad it was a blessing to you!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad the grandkids were so fun to have around and helpful. In these seemingly days of endless complaining it is good to hear about good kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good reminder that it's still possible to raise good kids. They were a blessing, and their mom says they are still talking about how much fun they had.

      Delete
  3. Wow...you have been busy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we have! So thankful for God's grace and the strength that He gives.

      Delete
  4. Isn’t it wonderful how The Lord is concerned for each person’s needs?! It blessed me to think that the dear widow did not have to stand in the cold. At my dad’s service, I was concerned for the hot sun beating down on people and just then a cloud moved over the sun and shielded us all for the duration. What a great time you enjoyed with the grands. They sound like delightful people who are being raised well. What a help they were! Lots of shuffling going in your world...may it all work out to be more efficient and a blessing to your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed wonderful. Such a blessing to see that sunshine and feel that warmth for just the time it was needed. And what a wonderful blessing at your dad's service to have that cloud move over the sun!

      You described these kiddos well -- delightful people who are being raised well.

      The shuffling seems to be working out well so far! Still more to do, but the biggest pieces are in place.

      Delete
  5. It's good to read about all of your blessings. You are blessed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, I know. But you mustn't think that I never experience hard times. I definitely do, but God is faithful!

      Delete
  6. I too am so thankful to the Lord for His many blessings. I have been so aware of that lately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading your post - it's good for the soul

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to spend time with your appreciative and helpful grandchildren. I’m glad that prayers were answered for the widow. What a blessing to share a meal with friends on Sunday.
    Thank you for your visit to my blog. I actually found that cakelet pan at Home Goods, but dud recently buy a beehive cakelet pan from King Arthur.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your recent visit to my blog. I appreciate the time you took to leave a comment.

    Your blog is really pretty. I love the polka dot background!

    Sharing a meal with friends and neighbors is such a great thing to do. Sadly, so many people feel like hosting someone for a meal means they have to cook something elaborate. Nothing could be further from the truth. Simple meals are welcomed just as readily!

    How awesome that your grandkids are so willing to help out.

    My parents have a woodstove, and it sure keeps their house cozy warm!

    Blessings,
    Patti @ This Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! I just met you over at my blog, "Closed Doors, Open Windows", https://pamelasopenwindow.blogspot.com/ And I am SO happy to meet you! I love seeing your posts about your trips to the northern woods, etc., We used to live in NH and Maine...Conway NH and Fryeburg, ME, so we are very familiar with that part of NE and loved it. Now we live in Florida, which is actually our home state, but I do miss NE especially in the fall. I will look forward to getting better acquainted with you as time goes by!! God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoyed reading yours.
    We do have a lot to be thankful for. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thankful for your visit and this post which reminds me that I need to resume my gratitude journal.

    P.S. Nice to meet another fellow January baby!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.