Friday, August 14, 2020

Friday five ~ August 14


I'm not sure how it happened, but the month of August is nearly half over!  I have never been one for wishing time away, and current events notwithstanding I still don't want to wish away the rest of the month.  But it's been a hot, humid, uncomfortable August so far, and I will be thankful when the weather is cooler and less sticky on a regular basis.  Here are a few more things I'm thankful for this week:

1.  Vintage finds like the postcard at top.  When life is as crazy as it is right now, I appreciate being reminded that the world has survived craziness before.   This view of the Cannon Mountain tram is from a long, long time ago. 

The tram cars have been red and yellow for as long as I can remember.  Sadly, this year the tram is not running at all thanks to COVID-19.

2.  Supper picnics at the lake.  We have a beautiful lake about 20 minutes away.  The park is never very busy by the time we get there, so we enjoy the water and a lakeside picnic.  It's been especially necessary in this hot sticky weather ... we have had 3 beachfront picnics in the past week!  We keep the menu very simple -- usually wraps, chips, and some sort of fruit.  This view never gets old.

3.  A wonderful time at our friends' wedding on Saturday!  It was a beautiful outdoor ceremony and, although it rained earlier in the morning, by the time of the wedding all was well.  I failed to get any photos to speak of, which is a shame.  The lovely decorations, whimsical table centerpieces (little "fairy houses" on wood slices), the fun of a square dance -- all would have made great pictures.  I only had my tablet though, which wouldn't have done justice to any of these.  Hopefully someone got good photos which I can maybe share at a later time.

4.  A wonderful Sunday of fellowship, both in and out of church.  We enjoyed a good church service with a great message on being vessels God can use.  In the late afternoon our dear friends Sam and Jennifer and their boys came for supper and a bit of Bible study.  I made a salad I'd not thought of in years, Taco Pasta Salad, and it was a huge hit with our guests.  I will definitely be making this again soon.  I used ground turkey instead of beef, and I doubled all of the quantities except the meat.  I also used regular tortilla chips instead of nacho flavored ones.  I think this salad would be really good with black beans added also.
Photo from Taste of Home
5.  Seeing God work in different situations this week.  It's so encouraging to be reminded that He knows our every need and we can cast all of our care upon Him, knowing without a doubt that He cares for us and will perfect that which concerns us.
From Baptist Bible Hour
And that's the Friday five for this week!  Happy weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Phew! Glad that the weather improved for the. outdoor wedding. It sounds charming.

    That meal sounds delicious. I would very much enjoy a taco casserole meal.

    That lake looks to be a beautiful place for a picnic. Course the heat makes all such activities less than optimal. Still, there could be a cooling breeze off the water. 😁

    Hang in there; August is going fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you've been able to have those evening lakeside picnics. What a wonderful way to beat the heat and enjoy some of God's natural beauty that surrounds you. Also, the wedding sounds lovely. I do hope you can get some of the pictures to share. The taco pasta salad sounds good. I think my daughter in law in Maine made that for our grandson's graduation party a couple of years ago. It was really good. Fall should be coming your way pretty soon. I remember Labor Day picnics in NH where we had to wear sweatshirts. We've still got a long way to go before we get any cooler weather. One day at a time. God is good. Enjoyed your post so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, what a lovely blog! So happy I came across it. I have really enjoyed reading your posts. I live in Scotland now, but many years ago, I lived next door to you in Maine! God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.