Wednesday, September 02, 2020

September 2nd Hodgepodge


Yes, it's Wednesday again, and time for the Wednesday Hodgepodge, in which Joyce asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers.  It's always a lot of fun (and sometimes challenging).   If you'd like to join in,  just head over to From This Side of the Pond and get the questions from Joyce, then answer them on your own blog.  Here are this week's questions:

1. The Hodgepodge lands on the second day of a brand new month. Tell us one thing you're looking forward to in September.

A getaway up north with my hubby!   We'll be spending a few days at the lake above.

2. Do you enjoy browsing second-hand shops? Last thing you bought or 'inherited' second hand?
 We bought property from my dad's trust -- woodland acres that included this rustic cottage.  The organ was already there, but the lamps, fan,  fruit crate and blanket chest came from the old homestead.  The couch belonged to my daughter and family and the bookcase belonged to my sister.
A darker photo, this one of the dining area shows some chairs from the homestead and a table we found in the cellar there.  Plus there are loads of other second-hand items which can't be seen in these pictures.  The rug (which I love and will keep) and the linoleum (which will eventually be replaced) were both 'inherited" with the cottage.


In addition to "shopping" in old houses, I do very much enjoy browsing second-hand shops!  It's been awhile since I shopped at one; mostly we have been donating there.

3. Something you had second thoughts about after committing to, purchasing, or posting/commenting online?


Let's see ... I often second-guess myself after writing a blog post.  Even though I read and reread, and Preview before hitting "Publish", I still often wonder if I've said what I meant to say.  Same with comments on others' blogs.

I've been neglecting this one...
4. What's a product or service you use that you'd rate as second to none?


Tilex Daily Shower is the only thing that keeps the soap scum produced by our very hard water at bay on a daily basis.  (It's also nearly impossible to find right now!)  For monthly cleaning of the tub and shower, I rely on this formula for  Tub and Shower Magic, which is also wonderfully effective on removing the soap scum.

5. Something you do so often or that comes so naturally to you it's second nature?
This summer, I guess that might be making iced tea.  Heat water, pour over teabags; steep; add 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/3 cup agave nectar.  Voila, a half gallon of iced tea.  Read about it here if you missed it: Desperate times still call for desparate measures.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

This is random indeed,  and probably shows how weird I am, but my granddaughters and I were so amazed by this packaging from the butter our hosts had placed in our apartment fridge during our time out West.  It was so very interesting that I brought it home and scanned it.
There's a poem on the inside!
Don't you find it amazing too?

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, yes, I love that butter box and the poem! How cool is that? I would have saved it too! And thank you for showing more pictures from inside your cottage. I love that organ, and would love to see more pictures of that up close. My grandparents had an old pump organ at their vacation log cabin in PA that they built when my dad was a teenager. I was fascinated by that pump organ (and the tiny jars of my grandmother's rouge that were on her dresser). Sadly they sold the cabin and the organ when they retired and moved to Florida. They then had an electric organ, but that was not nearly as interesting. Oh, how wonderful you get to go to that lake again this September! I hope you will have a very relaxing and beautiful time there. I'm sure the leaves will be gorgeous. I really miss not going to NH/Maine in the fall. We were going to in October, but can't now because of the quarantine on people from Florida. So sad. We will miss our grandson's 21st birthday and there won't be a Fryeburg Fair this year either. Thank you for your blog post today. I guess it made me chatter too much! Sorry. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs T when I saw that linoleum, I recognized it as the same linoleum that is in my nephew's beach house at the Old Fort Screven on Tybee Island. It has held up better than modern flooring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing cabin to get 'second hand'.
    I checked out the butter source--I had to laugh that 'out west' is Nebraska which is, in my mind, out east since I'm from the west coast. I loved their creativity and that poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the butter made in Nebraska? I didn't even notice! We, however, were out West when we used the butter -- northeastern Nevada, cowboy and gold mining country.

      Yes, the creativity amazed me. So much fun!

      And yes, the cabin ... we're so enjoying fixing it up.

      Delete
  4. It is very cool packaging. I have questioned blogging every day. Ha!

    Love the cottage and all the special things therein. Have a delightful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that is a great butter box!! I am a sucker for good packaging, so I'm pretty sure I would have bought it had I seen and read it. In our old farm neighborhood there are still a few dairy farms where the cows wander the hillside pastures and have a nice life. I wish that so many cows didn't have the mega dairy experience. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great cottage and how fun to fill it with some special things. The butter packaging is great. I am all about pretty package, wording, and fonts so I love it. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That packaging is amazing. How very interesting to be able to enjoy that property and cabin and all the inherited things, too. Happy September to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we just purchased an old home and when we did we found it had not been lived in for many years but so much was left behind we inherted a piano and many things from mid century
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing pictures of your cottage. This summer has seen us inheriting many used things. We've replaced some lesser pieces of furniture with some of our inherited pieces, and I kind of hope someday some of our kids will be interested in them, too. But if not, the things we've brought home will have had a good run.

    I love that butter package. How fun that must have been to design imagining people who ate the butter getting a kick out of it. I would have saved it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.