Saturday, March 24, 2007

A wonderful cole slaw recipe!

Here is the cole slaw I served with supper last night. What a nice taste of spring it was!

CABBAGE & PARSLEY SALAD

2 cups chopped (not grated) cabbage
1/2 cup parsley florets
Sweet onion to taste, thinly sliced in rings*

Dressing:
3 Tblsp. cider vinegar
3 Tblsp. sugar
2 Tblsp. canola oil
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine the cabbage, parsley and onion in a salad bowl.

Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour dressing over veggies, toss well, and let stand, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

* Original recipe called for a medium sweet onion sliced in rings. I only used a couple of tablespoons of quartered, thinly sliced sweet onion. I just don’t care for completely raw onion in salads (not even sweet onions) so I poured boiling water over the onion pieces in a small bowl and let stand for 10 minutes or so, then drained off the water and rinsed the onion with cold water before adding to the salad bowl. The onion flavor is important to the recipe, so I didn’t want to leave it out entirely.

This is a very delicious cole slaw! The parsley adds such a fresh-looking and fresh-tasting element. I found the original recipe in Cook & Tell, my favorite cooking newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.