Thursday, October 11, 2007

Slow Cooking Thursday for October 11


Here's a wonderful recipe I tried recently. I adapted it from one I found in Simple & Delicious. You will be amazed at how perfectly the potatoes bake in the slow cooker.

ROUND STEAK ITALIANO

1 to 2 pounds boneless top round steak
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
2 Tblsp. onion soup mix*
1 Tblsp. olive or canola oil
2 Tblsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. pepper
Garlic powder to taste
6 to 8 medium potatoes
1 Tblsp. cornstarch
1 Tblsp. cold water

Cut steak into serving-size pieces; place in a 5-quart slow cooker. In a small bowl or a 2-cup measure, combine the tomato sauce, soup mix, oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic powder and pepper; pour over meat.

Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on top of meat. Cover; cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat and potatoes are tender.

Remove meat & potatoes to a serving platter and keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim off any fat. Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth and gradually stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat, cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

* Here’s my recipe for:
ONION SOUP MIX

3/4 cup dried minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. celery seed, optional

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. When a recipe calls for onion soup mix, use 5 Tablespoons mix for each envelope of onion soup called for. So many recipes seem to call for a package of onion soup mix, and this is far more economical.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:40 PM

    This looks really good. Thanks for sharing!


    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the onion soup recipe- that's great to have on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:38 PM

    This sounds incredible! What brand is the beef boullion granules that you buy? I haven't been able to find any granules for the beef broth. If I knew what brand makes them, I could ask my grocery store order them.

    THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohhh great recipes, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks good! I'll be trying it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.