Monday, October 08, 2007

An autumn adventure


On Saturday afternoon, Mr. T and I took off on a little “foliage drive”. It didn’t really matter that the day wasn’t brilliantly sunny; the fall colors were about at their prettiest, and we could take a few hours away from our many responsibilities. So we did!

It was really a treat just to drive through the countryside together. I did a bit of crocheting on a dishcloth, and we listened to a high school football game until we lost the station. The hardwood trees nearest us and the ones far off on the hillsides were all changing colors. We could see all shades of red, orange, and yellow, with the tall, dark evergreens mixed in amongst them. Just breathtaking!

We stopped at a small lake and watched some loons. I suppose they were fishing, but there were several of them, and it really seemed as if they were showing off their water acrobatics and diving techniques for one another! Unfortunately, they were too far from shore for us to get any good pictures of them.At another lake, we were able to walk down to the beach and get some photos of the water and the colorful trees. We were the only ones there, and it was very tranquil and peaceful... just what we needed after a busy, stressful week.




Later on, we stopped at a country gift shop and treated ourselves to some goodies like fudge, maple cream, and strawberry-rhubarb preserves to bring home with us... souvenirs of our little autumn adventure! It began to rain while we were in the shop, so we headed home after that, feeling much more refreshed than when we started out a few hours previously. God is so good to give us that little bit of leisure time... just enough to refresh us and encourage us along the way.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:14 PM

    I just knew you would have beautiful trees around your area...I am sooooo jealous, ours are still green!! Sorry I haven't gotten back with a pm for you but know that I have read yours and will be sending one soon, I am happy to hear that you had a nice drive...Me and Roger went to a place called Apple Hill this past Saturday about 2 1/2 hours away from us and it was just such a nice drive and we got the most delicious apple fritters and apple donuts...Just loved the pictures you posted...
    Blessing, Joann

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures don't even begin to capture how pretty the trees really are, Joann! I hope I can get a few more photos in the next few days that will do more justice to the colors.

    Your and Roger's trip to Apple Hill sounds just wonderful! We had hoped to go to an apple orchard too or at least stop at an apple stand somewhere to get apples and cider, but then when it started to rain we decided to just head home. We're hoping we can maybe get to an orchard nearer home this weekend, even though our weekend is going to be very busy with our church missions conference.

    I'll be watching for your pm.

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:43 AM

    Hi Mrs T....I found your website from Kelli's Seasonal Delights. I always enjoy your postings. Love your blog too. We visited Bennington Vermont two yrs ago and I just loved New England. I hope to come back sometime when the leaves are at their peak color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arlene!!

    Welcome to my kitchen table! Please stop by and visit any time.

    I love the Seasonal Delights forum too.. so happy they have started it. It's fun to read what others are doing each day, share recipes, etc.

    Yes, New England is definitely my favorite place... we have traveled to different parts of the US, but we are blessed to live here! Hope you can come back at peak foliage season some year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mrs. T,
    I could just cry, looking at all of your beautiful pictures - but I won't:). I do miss my VT though. How refreshing for you and your hubby to spend some time together in such a beautiful place. Thanks for posting the New England foliage pictures. Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww Rachel... please don't cry! I never even thought about making you homesick.

    Now, your area must have some trees that turn color, at least up in the mountains, right? I thought that I had seen pictures of the Smoky Mts. with fall foliage (but I could well be wrong). Maybe you guys need to go out on a little leaf-peeping trip of your own... buy some apples and cider. Make those cider donuts. You'll feel better!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mrs. T,
    Don't worry, I didn't cry:). I appreciated the pictures that you took. I think that the Smokies have foliage but I don't think that they have the amazing evergreen trees that New England does. Evergreen trees mixed in with the foliage is a beautiful sight to behold.
    I've heard that the autumn won't be much of anything this year because it was so dry and hot, so we'll see. We've been housebound with renovation projects for the last several weekends. We really want to be finished by the time Thanksgiving comes along as we'll be hosting Michael's two brothers and sister-in-law. We may have to be content with looking at photos of the foliage this year. If we get out and about, I'll be sure to blog about it:). I hope that you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.