Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter egg dyeing with natural dyes ~ a fun project!



Here's another post for Easter fun -- a little late, but maybe some of you with kiddos would still like to try this project. Two of my granddaughters and I tried our hand at dyeing eggs with natural materials.

I found the instructions here (in a marvelous resource called Mrs. Sharp's Traditions):

And a few other places as well. Basically, what you do is to put up to 6 white eggs in a saucepan

and cover with approximately 2 cups of natural materials. We used yellow onion skins,


red beets,

red cabbage,

and shredded spinach.



Then add a tablespoon of white vinegar to set the dye.

Bring the eggs to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat and allow the eggs to remain in the dye bath for 1 hour. Then remove from saucepan and allow to cool. If desired you may brush them with vegetable oil for a nice shine.

Here are the results:

From yellow onion skins:

From red beets (these came out light pinkish brown -- actually sort of the color of brown eggs):

From red cabbage:

The yellow ones in the photo below are from spinach!

Aren't they pretty? We had so much fun with this project -- took the eggs to church for decoration at Easter breakfast and asked people to guess which color came from which material. We had hoped to try this again this year with different natural dyes, but sadly we won't have time.

2 comments:

  1. Neat! That would be fun to try. I love the blue ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they a pretty blue? It just amazes me that a blue color can come from red cabbage!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.