Thursday, March 27, 2014

A nice asparagus recipe for Spring


Photo by Taste of Home
Spring will come.  I am sure of it, for the Bible states in Genesis 8:22,
"While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease."

But right now, it just doesn't seem too likely up here, regardless of what the calendar may say.  Still, as I read in our daily newspaper yesterday, one sure sign of spring is the appearance of bunches of asparagus in the supermarket.  I bought one a couple of weeks ago with no clear idea of how I would use it.  I looked through my cookbooks a bit and found this wonderful side dish recipe: Parmesan Asparagus.  I didn't have any shredded Parmesan cheese on hand, and didn't think the grated type would work that well, so I just added a small amount of salt with the pepper instead.  I have some shredded Parmesan now, so will definitely try it that way too.

Another change I made was to break the stalks in half rather than leaving them whole; I thought they would be easier to eat yet still look nice.  That proved to be the case.  This would be a lovely side dish for Easter dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Two signs of spring. Pussy willows in Anne's yard yesterday have catkins started and the male Yellow Finches she tells me are molting into their sunny yellow plummage. I did see catkins on her magnolia tree. It is coming, just buried in snow. The warmer weather should really get things started. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Very encouraging indeed!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. As I walked back from the mailbox in freezing rain this morning, I confess to feeling a bit discouraged. Such a blessing to hear of signs of spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.