Sunday, March 16, 2014

Intentionally Focused, Day 30


Graphic from CrossCards.com
Okay, so I just had to share one more session from Week 6 of the "Intentionally Focused" Bible study from Good Morning Girls.  To be perfectly honest, I hadn't expected quite so much from this particular week, since it had to do with children.  I have no young children at home and, at this time, am not ministering directly to children, so -- although I studied these Scriptures dutifully, with my grandchildren in mind, I wasn't expecting a lot.  I was quite surprised with how the Lord spoke to me through week 6.  I will just share the study from that Friday:

S [Scripture]= "And that from a  child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
"That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." 
(2 Timothy 3:15-17)

O [Observation]= This second letter from Paul to Timothy is far more personal than 1 Timothy, and is probably the last letter Paul ever wrote.  He is encouraging Timothy to keep standing fast in the sound doctrine that he has learned.  I verse 14 he exhorts Timothy. "But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of", even in the face of persecution, evil, and false teaching.  He reminds Timothy that he has known the holy scriptures since childhood, and that scripture makes us "wise unto salvation through faith in Christ Jesus."

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable:
1) for doctrine
2) for reproof
3) for correction
4) for instruction in righteousness.
Applying scripture to our lives in each of these ways will lead to spiritual maturity and prepare us for the good works God has for us to do in His service.

A [Application]= Things are growing worse and worse in our world, just as they were in Timothy's day.  In the face of this, I am to do just as Paul counseled Timothy and continue in the things which I have learned and have been assured of.  Evil abounds, false teaching is out there, and persecution could be just around the corner.  Yet I need to keep on keeping on, standing fast on the Word of God.  I've learned sound, solid doctrine, and I can be in God's Word every day to be reproved, corrected, and instructed in righteousness.  As I do, I'm equipped to serve God in every area He calls me to, and I become spiritually mature and settled.  And surely part of the work God has for me is to instruct -- both by word and by example -- the children in my life, so that they will come to faith in Him and then grow spiritually strong.  They are facing an increasingly evil world and it's more important than ever to provide them a firm foundation they can build their lives on.

P [Prayer]=  "Lord, how I thank and praise You for Your Word!  It brings us to an understanding of salvation, but it doesn't stop there.  It reproves, corrects, shows us sound doctrine and instruction in righteousness -- all for the purpose of equipping us to grow spiritually strong and to serve You.  How thankful I am to own a Bible in my own language, and to be able to read and study it each day.  I pray that you will help me to faithfully read, study, and apply Your Word to my life.
"And I pray, too, Lord, that You will help me to keep the Bible before the children in my life, and to help them grow in You.  Give me special insight and strength for this task, especially as I prepare this year's summer devotional book.  I thank You for all You will do and the strength that You will give.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.