Friday, July 27, 2007

Favorite Ingredients Friday for July 27



Okay, now this Friday it really is the appetizer and snack theme at Favorite Ingredients Friday. I have lots of appetizer recipes I could share, but I chose this one because it's light and summery and so good with the fresh garden cucumbers. Enjoy!

CUCUMBER SANDWICHES

8 ounces cream cheese
1 pkg. dry Italian salad dressing mix
Party rye bread (about 1 loaf)
Cucumber slices (1 to 2 cucumbers)
Paprika or salad seasoning, optional

Combine the cream cheese and salad dressing mix. Spread the mixture on slices of party rye bread. Top each open-face sandwich with a cucumber slice. If desired, sprinkle each with paprika or dry salad seasoning. Refrigerate until serving, and be sure to refrigerate any leftovers.

These little sandwiches make a great appetizer. They also work very well as a tea party type of sandwich.

If, like me, you prefer to make your own dry Italian dressing mix, here is the recipe I use.

ZESTY ITALIAN DRESSING MIX

1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. each: pepper, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, sweet red pepper flakes
Pinch of paprika

In a custard cup or small bowl, mix all together. Whirl briefly in a blender if you like a finer texture (I skip this step). Makes the equivalent of 1 packet Italian dressing mix. May double or triple the recipe if you need more than one packet of mix in whatever you’re making.

3 comments:

  1. oh this does sound refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good summer treat and since I have a whole box of cucumbers fresh from someone elses garden, I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these recipes sound fantastic! I"m really going to have to try the cucumber sandwiches. :)

    Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange! I do appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.