Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thoughts from reading Jonah...



I am reading through the Bible in my One-Year Devotional Bible and have just finished the book of Jonah. Something stood out to me that I don't remember noticing before -- I noticed the things that God is said to have "prepared" in His dealings with Jonah.

* He "prepared a great fish" (Jonah 1:17)

* He "prepared a gourd" (Jonah 4:6)

* He "prepared a worm" (Jonah 4:7)

* He "prepared a vehement east wind" (Jonah 4:8)

It occurs to me that God is every bit as thoughtful and purposeful in His dealings with all of His people. Everything that enters our lives is for a specific purpose, to grow us in some way and, ultimately, to bring glory to God.

I was reminded of something that William MacDonald wrote: "Everything that God allows to come into our lives is purposeful. We should not detest it or despise it. Neither should we shrink from it or give up under it. Rather we should be concerned that God's purpose is achieved through the discipline, and thus we reap the maximum profit from it. God's ultimate purpose in the disciplines of life is that we become partakers of His holiness."

5 comments:

  1. You know, I don't think I really noticed that before. Thanks for sharing your insight with us; what a great reminder to us to trust the Lord, no matter what's going on -- He really does know what He's doing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed how God works thru so many venues. I really appreciate you posting this as it is such an encouragement to me, especially at this time. It's easy to lose focus and forget that God's ways truly are perfect even when we can't see the end of a situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It is something to think on today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never thought it that way before either. Good post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ladies!!

    Thanks for stopping by my kitchen table and leaving your thoughtful comments. Just as an added note -- yesterday in the morning message our pastor was commenting about how the great fish did not digest Jonah in spite of the amount of time Jonah spent in the fish's belly. I was nodding my head and thinking, "That's right -- because God had specially prepared that fish!"

    And He specially prepares our circumstances, too.

    Have a nice day, all! Stop in and visit anytime.

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.