Thursday, February 01, 2007

Tonight's Menu...


Nanalin asked if I would be willing to share the recipes I'm using in my menu plan this week. I will be happy to, as long as I can find the time. The Broccoli Sausage Simmer is posted below. In this post, I'll share tonight's recipes, all except for dessert. Here goes:

MACARONI & CHEESE

8 ounces elbow macaroni
1/2 c. minced onion (may be omitted)
4 Tblsp. butter or margarine
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. dry mustard (sometimes referred to as ground mustard)
2 c. milk
1 3/4 to 2 c. grated Cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 tsp. pepper
Salt to taste
1/2 c. dry bread crumbs (I prefer the flavored)
Paprika

Cook and drain the macaroni. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium-low heat, saute´the onion in the butter for about 5 minutes, or until softened. (If you are not using the onion, skip this step. Simply melt the butter, heat until bubbly, and proceed with the recipe.) Stir in the flour and dry mustard and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk or stir in the milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Gradually add 1 1/2 c. of the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in pepper. Taste and add salt if needed.

Next, preheat the broiler of your oven. If, like me, you do not have a functioning broiler, heat your oven to 425º.

Mix the cooked, drained pasta with the sauce and turn it into a 2-quart casserole dish. Toss together the crumbs and the 1/4-1/2 cup remaining cheese. Sprinkle over the pasta/sauce in dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. (If you are baking the casserole at 425º, it will take longer -- maybe 10 minutes -- to reach this stage.

Yield: 4 servings.

We love this easy macaroni & cheese recipe. It seems a lot easier than some I have tried. It’s definitely quicker!



COUNTRY CARROTS

2 Tblsp. butter
1 Tblsp. chopped chives
1 tsp. each sugar, basil, instant chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt, optional
2 cups sliced carrots, 1/4” thick
1 cup diagonally sliced celery, 1/4” thick

Melt the butter in a heavy 2-qt. saucepan; add seasonings and carrots. Cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in celery; cover and continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes.

Yield: 3-4 servings

I relied on this recipe as a young wife. It was a quick, easy inexpensive way to add nutrition and color to meals, and even looks dressed-up enough for a company meal. It’s especially nice in winter when most fresh vegetables are more expensive. Good old carrots and celery are always available, and the seasonings in this recipe make them appealing.

Tonight I'm also making

COLE SLAW.

The easiest cole slaw I know of, which I think I've shared here before, is just shredded cabbage & some shredded carrots, combined with enough mayonnaise (I use Hellman's Light) to almost moisten the veggies. Then add enough seasoned rice vinegar to moisten the mixture to your taste -- probably several tablespoons. Dried cranberries tossed into this slaw add a very tasty and colorful touch.

I'll try and share the dessert recipe tomorrow. In the meantime, I hope Nanalin and anyone else who tries these recipes enjoys them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.