Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Fun and pretty crocheted necklaces


Back some time ago,  I noticed a very pretty and unusual necklace that a friend at church was wearing.  When I commented on it, she told me that her mom had purchased it for her at a craft fair.  I did an internet search for the pattern and found one rather similar.  This is the link for the tutorial:  Trellis Necklace Tutorial.

The only catch was that the trellis yarn (also called ladder ribbon yarn, railroad yarn, and other names) was hard to find locally.

I looked around at our nearest Jo-Ann Fabrics and found a yarn with slubs of ribbon in it.  The yarn was thicker and more rustic looking than I wanted, but I tried making up a necklace anyway.

Here's the result:

The yarn I used was Sensations Rosario Multi in the Turquoise color.

It doesn't look like much in the picture, but I may have had more compliments on this necklace than any piece of jewelry I have ever worn!

Then I found some sellers of ladder ribbon yarn on Etsy and ordered three different colors.  So far I have only made up one:

Even though my crocheting is not the best, I think it still turned out very pretty.  This is Berlini Ladder Ribbon yarn.

I will be making more of these -- for myself and for gifts.  They are quick, easy, and oh so pretty!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!! I am going to be on the lookout for that yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Arlene!

    There's an amazing array of colors out there. Etsy is the best place to find it. Amazon carries some of it, but it's less expensive, with a greater variety, on Etsy.

    There are also a ton of other patterns and tutorials out there. I am going to try a couple other patterns and will post about those when I do.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't wear much for jewelry but those are beautiful. :) I think I may see if they are something Salinn could make?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nikki! I am not much for jewelry either ... often just earrings. I do wear pins very occasionally and necklaces sometimes. These necklaces are so lightweight you forget you're wearing them. Yes, Salinn could easily make them. It is just a simple chain stitch -- easy as pie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.