Sunday, October 11, 2026

Sunday Scripture

 


Time for another Sunday Scripture!  Again today we're continuing my simple study of Psalms.  You can see a copy of the journal I'm using here: The Book of Psalms 1-50 or you can find all the resources simply by scrolling down on the same page.  I'm attempting to SOAP each Psalm too, though some of them are longer so I will likely only do a selected passage from many of them. [Quick reminder that S stands for Scripture; O stands for for observation; A stands for application, and P stands for prayer.]  Each psalm's study also includes a reflection question, which I've been attempting to journal an answer to.  Today we're looking at Psalm 36.  We were to zero in on verse 9, but I chose to SOAP verses 9-10.

S= "For with Thee is the fountain of life; in Thy light shall we see light.

"O continue Thy lovingkindness unto them that know Thee; and Thy righteousness to the upright in heart."  (Psalm 36:9-10)

O= The Open Bible titles this psalm "The Excellent Lovingkindness of God".  The biblical superscription is "To the Chief Musician, A Psalm of David, the Servant of the LORD."

"David uses this title ["the servant of the LORD"] here and in Psalm 18.  In both he describes the dealings of God with both the righteous and the wicked, and it is most fit that he should take his place with the servants of the Lord."  -- Charles Spurgeon, The Treasury of David

In this psalm, David spends the first four verses describing the character and favor of the wicked.  In verse 5-7 he segues to the character of God -- His righteousness, justice, providential care, mercy, faithfulness, and lovingkindness.  Verses 8-10 describe some of the blessings of being God's children.

Cross-references for "fountain of life" -- "For my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken Me the fountain of living waters; and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns that can hold no water."  (Psalm 36:9)

"Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give Me to drink, thou wouldest have asked of Him, and He would have given thee living water."  (John 4:10)

 "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."  (John 4:14)

Cross-references for "in Thy light" -- "[Jesus] was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world."  (John 1:9)

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a people of His own, that ye should show forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into His marvelous light."  (1 Peter 2:9)

"To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins."  (Acts 26:18)

Cross-references for "know Thee" (v. 10) -- "But now, after ye have known God,  or rather are known by God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, unto which ye desire again to be in bondage?" (Galatians 4:9)

"Pour out Thy wrath on the nations that have not known Thee, and upon the kingdoms that have not called upon Thy name."  (Psalm 79:6)

A= Concerning God as the fountain of life, Spurgeon writes: "[Verse 9] is made of simple words, but like the first chapter of John's Gospel, it is very deep.  From the Lord, as from an independent, self-sufficient spring, all creature life proceeds; by Him it is sustained; rhrough Him alone it can be perfected.  Life is in the creature, but the fountain of it is only in the Creator: of spiritual life, this is true in the most emphatic sense."

Concerning God's light, Spurgeon wrote: "Purely and only by His own illumination, the Holy Spirit lights up the dark recesses of our heart's ungodliness."

I love these thoughts from Susan K. Pitts and Becky Thompson in the Midnight Mom Devotional Bible: "David was certainly afraid at times. He experienced moments of trembling fear. But David knew exactly where to turn for Light when life presented no clear path forward. And so do we ...  in the middle of every hard or heavy season, it is the Light of God’s Word that illuminates our path. It’s the instruction of His Word that lights our next steps forward. It’s the warm glow of His Presence that kindles a fire in our hearts even when everything else feels uncertain."

P= "Lord, how thankful I am that You are the fountain of life.  Not only are you the Creator of physical life, but You provide eternal life through the gift of Your Son.  You give us all that we need to live the Christian life -- 'all things that pertain unto life and godliness'.  

And in Your light we see light.  You are the Light of the world.  You commanded light to shine out of darkness.  Your Word is a lamp to our feet and a light to our paths.  Blessing upon blessing!  I praise You in Jesus' name, Amen."

Reflection Question: David spoke about the evil in the world and prayed that he would not be driven away by wickedness.  

Is there anything in your heart that is pulling you away from God?  Ask Him to shine his light upon it.

My response: Honestly, I cannot think of anything in my heart that would be pulling me away from God, but I would ask Him as David did in Psalm 139: "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me ...".

This is again a very brief, surface look at a psalm.  I encourage you to dig deeply into Psalm 36 for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.