Tuesday, December 19, 2006

December 19 -- Christmas Eve Soup


I've been making this soup for probably 25 years or more. It all started years ago when I decided we needed some simple traditions for our own family -- not just going to Grandma's on the big day, but something especially our own. We decided to have a simple meal on Christmas Eve -- when we started, we invited grandparents and other close family, but now it is down to just us and any available children and grandchildren. The menu I chose that first year was this soup, muffins or biscuits, and, for dessert, ambrosia with Christmas cookies. Over the years, many things have changed -- the past couple of years I've eliminated the ambrosia in favor of ice cream, and last year we had cheese pizza instead of bread -- but this soup is a constant. I thought I would share the recipe a few days early in case anyone else would like to try this for Christmas Eve. So here it is:

CHRISTMAS EVE SOUP
6 cups sliced potatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
6 slices bacon
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup sliced celery
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups half & half cream
Finely shredded cheddar cheese
Parsley sprigs

Cook potatoes and carrots in boiling water until tender;
drain. Saute bacon until crisp in skillet. Drain on paper towels;
crumble. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat. Saute the onion
and celery in the reserved bacon fat until tender but not brown.
Combine potatoes, carrots, onion mixture, salt, pepper, and cream in a
large kettle or Dutch oven. Simmer for 30 minutes; do not boil.
Garnish with shredded cheddar , parsley sprigs and the crumbled bacon.
Serves 4 to 6.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jan,

    Thanks so much for stopping by my kitchen table! I love company!

    Hope you try the soup and that you enjoy it as much as we do.

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.