Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lemon Ambrosia Cake



LEMON AMBROSIA CAKE

1 (18.25 oz) lemon cake mix, plus the eggs and oil it calls for
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 cup sugar
2 (3.5 oz.) packages cook-and-serve lemon pudding and pie filling
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup flaked coconut

Bake the cake as directed in a 13x9x2” pan.

Combine the pineapple and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and boil 5 minutes.
Pour pineapple mixture over the hot cake.

Cool pineapple-topped cake completely in pan on rack.

Cook the lemon pudding mixes as directed, with the egg yolks* and water called for. Pour the cooked pudding over the cake and chill until firm.

Whip the cream until medium-stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the pudding.

Sprinkle the coconut over the whipped cream and refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.

Yield: 12 servings.

* The pudding mix will call for 2 egg yolks per box of pudding -- or 4 egg yolks for this recipe which uses 2 boxes of mix. I just use 1 whole egg per box of pudding -- that is, 2 whole eggs for this recipe. I just beat them very well before combining with the pudding mix, sugar and water.


As I mentioned, this cake has been a family favorite for years. Although it is easy to make, it is somewhat time-consuming because the cake needs to cool and then chill in between the different steps of the recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, Joanna would love this cake. She like anything lemon. I ought to try making it for one of our church dinners sometime.

    Loved all your craftiness too.

    Hope you have a wonderful day.

    Mrs. D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy...I have a similar cake that I make but I use instant pudding. I just made a gooey butter cake for dinner tonight. Paula Deene has several versions of this cake and I tried the one with chocolate cake mix instead of butter cake mix. It smells so good. I may have to try a taste before supper!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.