Monday, June 05, 2023

Happy Homemaker Monday

 


I'm joining Sandra for this link party over at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom

The Weather:::

It's overcast and cloudy, cool at 56º with 9 mph winds.  High humidity though.  I'm headed out for a walk in a half hour.

As I look outside my window:::

Birds are flitting about; phoebes have a nest in the garage eaves.  Most everything is lush and green from recent cool rainy weather.  Most trees are fully leafed out now, except for a phenomenon I have never seen before -- some trees apparently had their leaves damaged by freezing  (27º) temps in mid-May and the leaves have all shriveled up and turned brown.  This has mostly happened with beech and oak trees, though many trees of these species are still fine.  It's so strange! 
 
Right now I am:::
 
Working on a blog post while waiting to meet up with a friend to walk.
 
Thinking and pondering:::

"O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!  How unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out!"  (Romans 11:33)

Praying about and pondering some situations I'm having difficulty understanding.  It reminds me about the godly wisdom of Elizabeth George when she says of Romans 11:33 that we can take every inexplicable situation in life and file each one in between the "bookends" of God's wisdom and God's knowledge.

She wrote in Loving God with All Your Mind: "We must accept in faith that the events of our lives are accomplishing something in God's plan for us and for His world.  He is at work and in control of our universe and our lives, and He has His reasons, which are un-understandable,  unsearchable, inscrutable, inexhaustible, unfathomable, and impossible to grasp.  The reasons behind His decisions remain in the realm of God, and you and I must rest in the knowledge that they are His domain, not ours.Therefore, we probably won't understand the how's and the why's on this side of heaven."

There are four chapters of the book dealing with this verse!   What a blessing for handling the inexplicable situations of our lives.  This should be required reading for every believer.

 

On my bedside table::: 

 A lamp, three books,  a pen and a jar of lavender-infused oil for helping with insect bites.

On my tv this week::: 

Nothing this week.

 Listening to::: 

The sound of an occasional car passing on the road below.  Unidentifiable birds calling sporadically.

On the Breakfast plate:::

I do intermittent fasting so don't have breakfast.  Lunch will be a salad with cubes of ham, cheese, and avocado.

  On the dinner plate::: 
 
Leftovers. An egg bake with ham, some egg roll in a bowl, white chicken chili.  I'll probably roast some veggies to go along with it all.
 
On the menu for this week::: 

I usually plan my menus from Thursday to Thursday, and grocery shop on Friday morning.  A few meals on my menu plan:

Loaded sweet potato salad
Hamburgers

The weather was hot, and I had planned a whole week full of main-dish salads, but it turned cool, so now I am having to shift gears!
 
On my reading pile:::
 
Holy Hygge by Jamie Erickson
Finding a Mentor, Being a Mentor by Donna Otto
We Travel an Appointed Way by A.W. Tozer
Licensed to Lie by Sidney Powell

On my to do list today:::
 
Work on blog posts
Possibly some errands with my hubby
Go for walk.
Work on felt food.
Phone call with my daughter of the heart, Jennifer
 
Plans for this week:::

Plan menus and make grocery list
List some notions, patterns, cards, and kids' books on Etsy
Declutter some bookcases
Take a box to the thrift store
Write blog posts
Work on my Sunday School lesson
Dust bedroom

What I am creating:::

January cross-stitch sampler
Felt food for some toddler birthday gifts
 
Bible verse, Devotional, Quote:::

This quote I found in the Daily Walk Bible devotional for June 11 (I'm ahead of schedule):
 
"When the forecast calls for storms, ships need a strong anchor; buildings, a sure foundation; trees, a deep root system.  In each case, their very survival through the storm depends upon a strong link to that which cannot be moved.  David's anchor in stormy circumstances was an unshakable faith in an unchanging God."

On my prayer list:::
 
Friends & family
Church family
Missionaries
Our country

 
 There's the Happy Homemaker Monday for today!
 

9 comments:

  1. I like to adjust my menus to the weather as well. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard when the weather is so changeable! 🤔

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this encouraging post. I appreciated the quote by Elizabeth George in particular. I needed that today for a situation we are dealing with. Thank you for sharing it with us. Also, I am curious about "loaded sweet potato salad". I've never heard of that, or any salad made with sweet potatoes. Have you shared this recipe before? I'd be interested to see it. I hope you have a lovely week, "weather or not". LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I'm so glad the post and quote were a special blessing for you and met a need in your lives.

      I have shared the sweet potato salad before. Here is the link: https://acrossmytable.blogspot.com/2014/02/a-fantastic-salad-recipe.html

      The recipe calls for frozen sweet potato "tots" or puffs, but I have made it with cubes of roasted sweet potatoes and that is what I was planning to do this time. It's a very different salad, but delicious!

      Delete
  3. This week's weather is so wet, chilly, and odd. My son was going to put in the AC when we decided it could wait at least ten days.

    Have a cozy week squeaking your walks in between the raindrops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a similar situation here -- we don't have AC, but we do have flannel sheets, and had planned to change to regular ones. Decided to stick with flannel for now, and so far are glad we made that choice!

      So far so good on the walks! 😊

      Delete
  4. Oh I do love Elizabeth George.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always a pleasure to visit here. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  6. You too, Lucie! 😀❤

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.