Again today for Sunday Scripture we're continuing my simple study of Psalms. You can see a copy of the journal I'm using here: The Book of Psalms 1-50 or you can find all the resources right here on Women Living Well, Psalms 1-50. I'm attempting to SOAP each Psalm too, though some of them are longer so I will likely only do a selected passage from many of them. [Quick reminder that S stands for Scripture; O stands for for observation; A stands for application, and P stands for prayer.] Each psalm's study also includes a reflection question, which I've been attempting to journal an answer to. Today's study is from Psalm 26, zeroing in on verse 3, but I opted to SOAP verses 1-3.
S= "Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity. I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide.
"Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; test my heart and my mind.
"For Thy loving-kindness is before mine eyes, and I have walked in Thy truth." (Psalm 26:1-3)
O= C.I. Scofield titles Psalm 26 "David's integrity".
Cross-reference for "judge me" (v.1) -- which reads "vindicate me" in the ESV -- "The LORD shall judge the peoples; judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me." (Psalm 7:8)
Cross-reference for "walked" (v.1) -- "But as for me, I will walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be merciful unto me." (Psalm 26:11)
Cross-reference for "trusted" (v.1) -- "In the LORD put I my trust; how say ye to my soul, Flee as a bird to your mountain? (Psalm 11:1)
Cross-references for "examine" (v.2) -- "Oh, let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just; for the righteous God testeth the minds and hearts." (Psalm 7:9)
"Thou hast proved mine heart; Thou hast visited me in the night; Thou hast tested me, and shalt find nothing. I purpose that my mouth shall not transgress." (Psalm 17:3)
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts." (Psalm 139:23)
Cross-reference for "test" (v. 2) -- "For Thou, O LORD, hast tested us; Thou hast tried us, as silver is tried." (Psalm 66:10)
Cross-reference for "loving-kindness" (v.3) -- "All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep His covenant and His testimonies." (Psalm 25:10)
Cross-references for "truth" (v.3) -- "Teach me Thy way, O LORD; I will walk in Thy truth; unite my heart to fear Thy name." (Psalm 86:11)
Hezekiah prayed, "I beseech Thee, O LORD, remember now, how I have walked before Thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in Thy sight. And Hezekiah wept very much." (2 Kings 20:3)
I was curious to find out why the KJV, which I am using for this study, translates the last word of verse 3 "truth" and the ESV and some others translates it "faithfulness."
One clue might be in Isaiah 25:1, which reminds us, "Thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth."
I found another clue in Believer's Bible Commentary, which tells us, "David had indeed conducted himself with moral integrity ... he had always kept the Lord's lovingkindness before him and had walked in faithfulness to God's Word."
And yet another in the Amplified Bible's rendering of this verse, which reads:
"For Your lovingkindness is before my eyes, And I have walked [faithfully] in Your truth."
A= David confidently asked God to judge him, prove him, examine him, and test his heart and his mind. He knew that as he walked in God's faithfulness and truth, his steps would not slide. He kept God's loving-kindness in the forefront of his thinking.
David said that he had walked in God's truth, avoided sinful entanglements, and spent time worshiping with others. In the same way, believers should seek to live by biblical principles, guard against ungodly influences, and worship regularly at a Bible-believing church.
"The integrity David wrote about should be a goal for us as believers in Jesus. As we grow more and more like the One we worship, our lives will be marked by truth and right thinking. Each day we should ask God to help us live a life of integrity." -- Dave Branon, Our Daily Bread
P= "Lord, I thank You that it is Your faithfulness that enables me to walk faithfully in Your truth. Help me to do this every day -- to seek to live by the principles of Your Word, to guard against ungodly influences from any direction, to worship with fellow believers and in my own personal quiet times. I praise You for Your faithfulness, in the name of the One who is faithful and true, Amen."
Reflection Question: The word "walk" is repeated multiple times in this Psalm. David resisted evil by walking with the LORD.
What does it mean to walk in faithfulness and how are you displaying this in your life?
My response: I think walking in faithfulness could be defined as living a life of integrity as described in the Application section. All of this will help us to walk in faithfulness, but I think we need to recognize that ultimately it is God's faithfulness to us that enables us to walk in faithfulness to Him.
"Faithful is He that calleth you, who also will do it." (1 Thessalonians 5:29)
That is an exceedingly brief look at Psalm 26:1-3. As always, please dig deeper on your own if you have time. It is mind-boggling to consider all that can be gleaned from the study of Psalms.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.