Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ground Beef Stew


Arlene asked for this recipe some time ago, and I didn't share the recipe at the time because I hadn't made the stew yet. Then I did make it, and didn't really think it was that great. But I thought maybe it could be. The recipe as printed called for tomato soup and Italian tomato paste, but I thought it would be much tastier substituting mushroom soup (or equivalent) for the tomato soup, and beef gravy (either homemade or canned) for the tomato paste. It was quite some time before I got around to trying the recipe this way, but I finally did and it is delicious! Much better than the original. Each time I've prepared it this way, Mr. T comments on how delicious it is. So Arlene, I am very sorry to have taken so long to post this recipe for you, but this is the new, improved version, and I hope you enjoy it!


GROUND BEEF STEW
1 pound ground beef
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
16 ounces baby carrots
3 cups water
2 Tbslp. dry onion soup mix
1/2 tsp. minced garlic (or 1 garlic clove, minced)
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (or equivalent)
1 can beef gravy (or equivalent)

In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a slow cooker, combine the next nine ingredients; stir in the beef. Cover and cook on High for 4 to 5 hours. Stir in soup and gravy; cover and cook 1 hour more or until heated through.

Yield: 12 servings.

1 comment:

  1. My dear mother in law makes this stew. My son loves it!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.